Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Favorite Beaches

Now that school is officially out and the humidity is officially, I feel like it is time to discuss my top 5 favorite beaches.

5. Orange Beach, AL
Located on Gulf, Orange Beach is a beautiful Alabama town. We had a ball going there in college, being a short 3 hour drive from Auburn. From the soft white sands and clear, blue waters, the beauty of the beach is enough to bring you down there. But there are also great restaurants, boating, fishing and the always popular, never classy bar Flor-bama located right on the border of Florida and Alabama. Order a Bushwacker, enjoy the view and call it a day!


The greatness of Flor-Bama

4. Wrightsville Beach, NC
A while back, I posted that my family and I took an impromptu trip to the beach and that is where we went. Being in Winston, I love the proximity of it, but also the laid back attitude. If you are kidless, Wilmington actually has a really great nightlife and a surprising array of clubs and bars.

Sunrise on Wrightsville

3. Tybee Island, Georgia
Only 20 minutes from Savannah, this spot was one of our favorites when my husband was stationed at Ft. Stewart. It is pretty small, so you almost feel like part of the town when you are there. Walk out ont he pier, enjoy lunch at one the beachside restaurants, go into Savannah to shop when you get too sunburned!

2. OBX- The Outer Banks, NC
The Outer Banks has something for everyone; enormous houses for family get togethers (we once had 30 people in once house and plenty of room), to trailers for poor college students making the most of their summers, to the Wrights Brother's Museum and the sand dunes, there is much more to do aside from go to the beach. My husband likes it because the waves are good, I like it because the sun is good. Once of the best times we had was going there in the fall, the house was cheap, the restaurants were empty and it was still warm enough to visit with old friends and drink mimosa on the deserted beach.

My little family at OBX last fall.

1. Kiawah Island, SC
My all time favorite place to go. Like Tybee, Kiawah is the best of both world, the beach and a great city- it is located about 30 minutes from Charleston. Kiawah feels like a neighborhood, there are trees and vegetation, bike paths and no tacky, bright pink houses with sea turtles on the front. It is situated between several first class golf course and the elegant hotel, The Sanctuary. There is also a private beach club for members. When we go there I kinda feel like Patrick Sawzye will be coming out to do a dance number any minute.

The Lobby of The Sanctuary on Kiawah Island

Where's your favorite beach??

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I am biased toward NC beaches--Wrightsville is one of my favorites. My parents had a beach house at Emerald Isle, NC when I was growing up, so I think that's still my favorite!