Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Few Reviews

Lately I have had a little extra time on my hands in the evenings for reading and watching movies, a rarity in the life of a mom, so I thought I would share a few opinions of the latest with you all.

Movies
The Invention of Lying: Definitely your basic romantic comedy, but good. I actually laughed out loud more than once and overall really enjoyed the message of the movie. It was cute and a great, easy movie. And with an hour and a half time frame, perfect for a weekday night when nothing else is on.

She's Out of My League: Please skip this movie. It was cheesy and predictable, but not funny at all. I think I smiled once, but more or less drank wine and talked with my sister in law because the movie couldn't keep our attention. The plot is underdeveloped and the characters are just plain ol boring.

Hot Tub Time Machine: Ok, don't judge me...I thought this movie was absolutely hilarious. It was cheesy and predictable, but unlike She's Out of my League, the characters were loveable and laughable. A lot of the humor is crude and farce, but if you are feeling rather immature, it is a great rental.

Books
Remember Me? By Sophie Kinsella: Eh, an easy summer read, but nothing I would keep on my shelf. Like Kinsella's other novels (the Shopaholic series for example), the main character is smart and successful by accident and slightly annoying throughout the story. But, if you are sitting at the beach and don't want to think really hard, it is an easy story to get through. I think it took me maybe 2 hours to read the whole thing.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson: This book came with a lot of hype and kind of delivered. The story was interesting (a little hard to follow until I got a handle on the wide variety of characters) and again, I was able to read it pretty quickly. The characters were engaging, but everything did tie up a little too nicely for my taste. It did not leave me with the desire to read the two other novels in the series; for me, it felt like reading a Dan Brown novel- good the first time, the second and third simply feel like a regurgitation of the first, same story, different place. Sadly, I was not impressed enough to continue to reading.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett: I read this about 2 months ago, but since all my other reviews were so-so, I thought I would throw this in for good measure. I thought this book was really cute. Another great, easy summer read, but challenging in content. Based in the south, it explores women and culture and the adversities that face us all. I loved the way Stockett changed the voices of her characters, they were all incredibly believable. I would suggest this for sure!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I'm reading The Help right now and really enjoying it!

Elle Cay said...

1st of all, you posted this at 6 am??? what is wrong with you???

i just watched invention of lying (thanks HBO On Demand) and found it just weird. But for such a under-the-radar movie, it had a ridic amount of celebs. Ricky Gervais, Jen Garner, Rob Lowe...Ed Norton??? The snub-nosed kid was pretty cute though.

fittingbackin said...

oooh thanks for the reviews, Katie! I thought Remember Me was so cute! (but yes, her characters ARE all slightly annoying!!) I want to read the Help and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo!