Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Poor Boys

Do you know how hard it is to find affordable cute stuff for boys? Unless you want to put a toddler in a shirt with a skull and a guitar on it that says "Chicks dig me", or think the only decor suitable for a boy's room is Toy Story, Thomas, Super Heroes or Cars, you are out of luck. Seriously, have you ever looked at the difference between the girl's section and boy's section in a store? It is ridiculous, and frustrating for a mom who needs to shop.

My latest issue is coming with the transformation from baby room to big room that we are currently working on. I spent all afternoon last Friday searching for bedding for C's new big boy bed. What I had in mind was pretty simple, a fluffy duvet with a green/white or yellow/white stripe. I wasn't even feeling picky about the stripe, it could have been seersucker thin or two inches wide. I went to Wal-Mart, Target, Homegoods, Bed, Bath and Beyond, JcPenny and Kohl's. I also looked online at Pottery Barn. N-o-t-h-i-n-g. And when I say nothing, I mean not even close. Toward the end of my search, I would have settled for a nice white comforter and couldn't even find that! At every store there seemed to be aisles of options for little girls, then one little corner with boy's stuff: red and blue plaid or Disney characters. Granted C loves Thomas the Train, but do I want his room outfitted in it? In all honesty, I would get tired of looking at it! I want his room to be a peaceful place that can grow with him, not one over stimulated by commercialized sheets. How is a little kid supposed to calm down and go to sleep if Buzz Lightyear is jumping off his blanket?

So my search continues, and hopefully I will find something soon because I spent yesterday morning painting C's new big boy bed and I am so excited to get his room all set up (pics to come, it is really cute!). We want him to get used to it before baby comes so that when we move, it will be comforting and familiar to him. Any suggestions on where else to look?

6 comments:

MarmePurl said...

Lands End or LLBean?

Alysa Regen said...

Dude...get it on Etsy. They will have what you need!

fittingbackin said...

"over stimulated by commercialized sheets" AWESOME. You are so right! Devie had this problem too when shopping for her new little one. I feel like you covered all of the places I would have gone - true story! :( Any luck online - maybe with overstock?

Tyler said...

One of my friends found a camping themed bedspread and it was adorable! I'm not sure where she found it though. She doesn't have any little ones yet, but she's a planner! I belive she Googled it. I'm all about kids rooms with more character. Boo to commercialized sheets. Bleh!

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Okay- these aren't exactly what you're looking for but maybe they will help?

Green/white stripes: http://www.garnethill.com/elementary-hypoallergenic-comforter/195450?listIndex=1&cm_mmc=Shopping_Comparison-_-Become-_-CHILDRENS%20HOME%20%3E%20BEDDING%20%3E%20TOP%20OF%20BED%20%3E%20QUILTS_AND_SHAMS-_-23925&SourceCode=Y1W31B

This one says it's white with a yellow band around it: http://cgi.ebay.com/Twin-White-Yellow-Duvet-And-Sham-Set-3747-/260694072171

White with green stripes: http://cgi.ebay.com/POTTERY-BARN-GRAND-EMBROIDERED-DUVET-SHAM-GREEN-APPLE-/170631724363?pt=US_Duvet_Covers&hash=item27ba717d4b

I have a thing for internet searching... I think it's kind of like a treasure hunt! haha! You might also try overstock.com :) Can't wait to see pics of the finished room!

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Oh, these too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pottery-Barn-Classic-EASY-CARE-Stripe-Duvet-f-q-marigol-/180582398472?pt=US_Duvet_Covers&hash=item2a0b8cba08

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pottery-Barn-Classic-EASY-CARE-Stripe-Duvet-Sham-Twin-/170491026382?pt=US_Duvet_Covers&hash=item27b20e9bce

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pottery-Barn-Teen-Classic-Stripe-Duvet-Cover-Twin-GRN-/190515607957?pt=US_Duvet_Covers&hash=item2c5b9d7995