Thursday, August 25, 2011

How To Make (and Use) Chicken Stock

Chicken stock is one of those seems so hard, but is actually really easy, recipes that my mom taught me a year or so ago. I was cooking with a lot of canned chicken broth and had no idea there was a simple, cheaper and healthier alternative to it.

1. Buy a whole chicken at your local grocer. Remove gizzards and stick in a pot full of water. Turn water up to a boil and skim film that raises to the top.
2. Turn water down to a simmer and add some veggies:
3. In true, this-isn't-really-a-recipe form, add whatever spices you have on hand. Here's what I used:
4. Cover that sucker up for 2-3 hours.
5. Remove from stove and pull chicken off the bone. It should fall right off and if you aren't a little bit grossed out by pulling chicken off, then you should get more than this (It works much better when I task Husband to chicken pulling):
6. Check out your sweet bowl-o-stock (drain and discard veggies used):
7. Take pictures of your little helper. Get so close that he drools and goes crossed-eyed. Sorry buddy.
8. Make some awesome meals from your hard work. Exhibit A) Quesadillas- using pre-cooked chicken:
Exhibit B) Chicken noodle soup using veggies already bought for stock and some Cut Spaghetti:
And little ham sliders for extra love:
The leftovers you can freeze in ice cube trays and use at any time you would otherwise use chicken stock or broth. And there you have it. Feel domesticated already don't you?

4 comments:

Martha Metzler said...

dang that looks good. i'm scared of the whole chicken! i've avoided it but maybe i'll try it... maybe.
www.marthametzler.com

fittingbackin said...

Love it - and love your exhibits! :) This looks wonderful!

Tyler said...

That was amazing! I'm terrified of removing chicken from the bone BUT now that Ryan is home, I can make him do it! Totally a man's job!

EGM said...

I'm so excited you posted that! It looks very familiar to the lunch I had at your house in NC :)
I hope y'all are doing well in California and I hope to see you sometime in Auburn this football season! Thanks again for the recipe!!!