Monday, January 23, 2012

Better Late Than Never: New Year's Eve

Last week, my father-in-law, Scott, celebrated a very young 60th birthday. However, since we were all home over Christmas, we decided to have an inimate surprise party for him on New Year's Eve. Scott was under the impression that he was just stopping by my sister in law, Kyle's house to say hi before heading to night out with my mother in law, Deb. But when he got there, 7 grandboys were waiting to jump out and say, "Surprise!" (They had been practicing all afternoon.)
We had a range of activites set up for the night and the first was for the grandboys to 'shave' Pops face using whip cream and popsicle sticks.
All lined up and ready for their turn.

Pop getting prepared for a messy experience.
And the 'shaving cream' goes on!
Cullen did not like this game one bit. He was sad that Pop was getting all dirty.
Bennett didn't have the motor skills for face shaving yet, so he just took a time out with a balloon.
After the first game, the dancing started, and it would last way past all of our normal bedtimes.

And before the boys went to bed, we sang Happy Birthday and had cake.

After a very successful putting 7 boys to bed all at one time, the adults were free to play for the rest of the night. We started with an eat-chocolate-with-a-scarf-and-hat-before-someone-rolls-doubles game that the Larrabee's played at their birthday parties as children.
It got pretty intense.


Next was a bubble gum relay race. First team to blow all their bubbles wins.
The last event before midnight was a game of Family Fued, with the poll questions all relating to Scott's favorite things.

We rounded the night out with a few family pics.

All the Larrabee kids
Plus spouses, Deb and Scott
And one final dance.
Happy Birthday, Scott!

**********
PS- I am guest posting over at Handling With Grace today about our life in Monterey.
 Be sure to pop over to Jamie's blog and say Hi!

15 comments:

Meg {henninglove} said...

what a great surprise party! and how fun a child's party then an adult's party. i'm sure you father in law had a terrific time, it sure looks like it from the photos in fact you all did!

Mandy@OrangeAutumn said...

I love all of the pictures!! It looks like you had SOOO much fun!

eas said...

cute pics-love the one of them dancing. I just read your guest blog. My husband's dad was army colonel and he has the fondest memories of being a little boy while they were stationed in monterey.

Laura said...

Gorgeous photos looks like you all had a great time :)

Stephanie said...

How much fun is that?!?! He doesn't look 60 at all either!

Cynthia said...

What a fun party! My fav photo?
The look of sheer confusion on your little one's face during the "shaving." How cute!

Emily said...

Oh my....these pictures are excellent. I love all the family traditions...you guys sure know how to throw a party. Very cute!

Sagittarian said...

Hi! :) My first time here, and I enjoyed your blog so much! Thanks to Jamie I found your blog! :) Wish you more happiness! :) And this post shows how happy your entire family is..:) God bless you all dear! :) Thanks for sharing..:) Hugs..:)

Stesha said...

just a fun party! wish i was invited!! haha jk!!! but great photos miss!!

xo
Classic & Bubbly

Nicole Rene said...

You have a beautiful family!!! Look at all those adorable little boys! Makes me miss my 3 little crazy nephews! Thank you for the sweet post on my blog, it is great to hear that some awesome marriages do exist out there with lots of babies & puppies haha :)

Heather said...

What a fun time! It looks like everyone had a blast!

siddathornton said...

this looks like such a fun night - i'm so glad y'all had a good time!

marie said...

I cant' believe how many great action shots you got, so darling. How wonderful to have these memories in print.

I love the one of your FIL laughing, so great!

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

aww I love these pictures. It looks like y'all had an absolute blast!! The balloon pic cracks me up!! :)

fittingbackin said...

So sweet - what is this scarf/eating game? I'm fascinated! You have such a sweet family!