Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lenten Reflections

Yesterday marked the beginning of Lent and while I am do not often chat about religion, it is an important part of my life and I happen to love the season of Lent. We were at mass last night and the priest reminded us that Lent wasn't just about giving something up, but about actually making a change to have a better life/be a better person. What an important reminder right?
I gave up inpulsive shopping {read: go to Target for a box of wipes, leave with $80 worth of crap}, sweets {mindless eating} and facebook {I don't actaully use facebook often, but I check it all the time. And it has gotten worse since I have it on my phone. If there is a pause in conversation, I bring it up. The other day, I was looking at it while holding Bennett and giving him a bottle. I felt horrible when I realized he was looking at me for attention, while I was engrossed in where a kid who was in my 9th grade math class went on vacation. While I have no issues with facebook itself, I know for me, it is a time waster and made me constantly judge people.}.
 Lent challenges me not to only find my faults and things I need to work on, but realize what else I can do to change. How about using that extra money for something good? Or teaching my children healthy eating habits instead of handing them 3 cookies from the box I just opened? Or talking to my husband in the car instead of checking my newsfeed? And for the love, pay attention to the sweet baby in front of me.
In the spirit of all of this, I had to repost this reflection that Susan found in her church bulletin and shared yesterday. I love it as a way of life for everyday, not just this time of year. Thanks for letting me borrow this, Susan!
Fast from emphasis on difference; feast on the unity of life.
Fast from apparent darkness; feast on the reality of life.
Fast from thoughts of illness; feast on the healing power of God.
Fast from words that pollute; feast on phrases that purify.
Fast from discontent; feast on gratitude.
Fast from anger; feast on patience.
Fast from pessimism; feast on optimism.
Fast from worry; feast on divine order.
Fast from complaining; feast on appreciation
Fast from negatives; feast on affirmatives.
Fast from unrelenting pressures; feast on unceasing prayer.
Fast from hostility; feast on forgiveness. 
Fast from self-concern; feast on compassion for others. 
Fast from personal anxiety; feast on eternal truth. 
Fast from discouragements; feast on hope. 
Fast from facts that depress; feast on verities that uplift. 
Fast from lethargy; feast on enthusiasm. 
Fast from thoughts that weaken; feast on promises that inspire. 
Fast from shadows of sorrow; feast on the sunlight of serenity. 
Fast from idle gossip; feast on purposeful silence. 
Peter Millar. Our Hearts Still Sing
Anything you will be fasting/feasting on this season? I know I need a little bit of each one of these!

13 comments:

eas said...

I'm giving up FB also and sweets but the Target thing might need to be added to my list. I have been bad with impulse buys lately.

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

This is a great post Kate. I'm guilty of the fb as well, scrolling anytime I have the given opportunity. Not having a target near me saves me hundreds of dollars a month, no joke! Thanks for sharing this:)

Susan said...

Those are great resolutions Kate! I'm so guilty of that fb scroll...I gave up facebook last year and it was wonderful. I'm so glad you love the reflection! Such a great daily reminder :)

Cynthia said...

What a great reminder, Kate! Love it.

Dancing Branflake said...

Man, that statement about Target is so true. So so so true.

I love this post. Repentance is such a powerful thing.

Heather said...

I have a post in the works for Monday about my relationship with the Catholic Church and how that relationship has changed over the years. I think you have a great perspective that we need to be constantly bettering ourselves, whether we do that through the guidance of religious traditions or in another personal way that works for us.

laurenjeanallece said...

I'm giving up frivolous shopping, too! There are so many better things I can be doing with that money (saving, tithing, using it to take a friend out to dinner!).

Oh, and also... "Fast from worry; feast on divine order" - you know how hard I'm working on trusting His timing, and not worrying about things! Thank you for this, I need that gentle reminder :)

Jenn said...

What IS it with Target? They may as well place a little machine at the front door and have you deposit $100 when you walk in, because it is haaaarrrrdddd to get out of their for much cheaper.

I love a ton of the points in the reflection you posted, but I need to figure out more PATIENCE. Soon. Like, right now. Possibly yesterday.

;)

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful reflection!

And seriously, what is it about Target that makes you want to buy stuff you don't need? And the clearance racks?! Trouble I tell you.

Chelsea said...

I've never participated in Lent, but this post really makes me want to. There are so many things I do that don't necessarily make me a better person. I could be using my time in a more efficient way, and I think I forget that sometimes!

Also. Target is like crack. I can never get out of there without spending an arm and a leg on stuff I don't even need. But, I love it.

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Im giving up sweet tea, I know it doesn't sound like much but seems like since we've been back in the states ive been drinking it more. I gave up soda over a year ago and haven't touched one since, so Im hoping I can stick this one out as well!!! Best of luck with your goals through out lent, this will be my first year every really giving up anything for this time period. (lent)

Britt @ The Magnolia Pair said...

Kate you crack me up! If only I could just give up all of my bad habits! Are you Catholic too? And my how can I relate to that Target idea.
Love your new header girl !

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

I love all of your resolutions..... going to be tough but well worth it! As you know, I've given up sweets too as well as using any electronics while my children are around.