Wednesday, April 25, 2012

She-Crab Soup

Every now and again, I get in an extreme cooking rut, you know, the one when I make the same 4 meals in rotation and literally can't think of anything else to create? So one of my goals for this week was to try a few new things and first up was She Crab Soup from Southern Living's Comfort Food cookbook. It turned out so good, we actually had it for a meal on Monday night and the leftovers as a side dish last night, we both loved it and it was quick an easy to make, but tastes complicated and fancy. I will definitely be keeping this recipe on hand.

She Crab Soup
Sherry (If you don't have a bottle on hand, you should get one. I cook with it all the time!)
1lb of crab meat (as fresh as you can get it)
6 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of grated onion
4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
3 cups of milk (I used skim and it worked just fine)
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups half-n-half or whipping cream (I used half-n-half)
fresh parsley

1. Pour sherry over crab meat to soak while preparing other ingredients.
2. Melt better in soup pot on medium-high heat. Grate 2 tablespoons of onions (of the tears involved with this step!) and add into pot.
3. Stir flour into butter/onion mixture and gradually add milk, stirring constantly
4. Add bouillon cubes and salt. Once dissolved, add crab and turn heat to simmer.
5. Add half-n-half, stir constantly until soup thickens.
6. Serve steaming hot with chopped fresh parsley and Old Bay Seasoning {recipe didn't call for Old Bay, but I think it is needed}
We had ours with fresh bread from the bakery the first night and found that it complimented a steak very well last night. It really is surprisingly easy for a week night meal or would be perfect as a first course at a dinner party. Go ahead and impress your loved ones with this tonight!

11 comments:

Heather said...

Yum! Sounds super tasty!

l.c.s. said...

this looks SO good, Katie! hope you are doing well!

Maria Matiopoulou said...

Ι've never had crab soup but I'm looking forward in trying this recipe! Looks delicious!

Have a lovely day!
Maria
http://www.unidentifiedlifestyle.com

Meg {henninglove} said...

yum!! i remember she crab soup when i visited charleston it was so so good! also the shrimp and grits and all the other charleston food goodness

dbirkel said...

Looks and sounds totally delicious!

KJ said...

YUM!! It sounds like a healthier crab bisque. I'm a sucker for crab... will try this for sure.

Ally Garner said...

I agree with KJ - that looks like a bisque: rich, but not too caloric. Yum. I would eat a whole pot of this! Bookmarking for my next rotation - thanks Kate!

TIffany Gabriel said...

Sounds tasty, to bad I dont like Sea food!!

Kristin said...

The reason I started posting recipes is because I was in a complete rut. It was chicken pot pie/stir-fry/pizza all the time. I have new love for crab (especially in the form of crab cakes!), so I'm bookmarking this for R&R!

laurenjeanallece said...

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to make this! And I have a wine that is CRAZY good with anything crab that I need to send you a bottle of ASAP!

The Romer Family said...

The other day, I caught my daughter eating grass. When I asked her, "Are you eating grass?!?!?!" She looked at me and said, "No, mommy. I not eat grass."....she had a piece of grass hanging out of her mouth....