Friday, June 29, 2012

Coffee With Lauren

Today is our last day at the beach, then it is back to The Farm for a night, followed by the long trip home on Sunday. I can't believe our month on the East Coast is coming to a close already. And since, in a few short days I'll be returning to 62 and partly cloudy, I have to get down to the beach and enjoy my last day in the 90s. My last guest poster today is the beautiful Lauren from Happenstance + Wanderlust, here to explain the importance for being blogger soul mates and drinking a strong cup of coffee.
**********
Hello Daffodil loves! I would love to start out with some delightful bit about you all being a lovely bunch... Or bouquet... Or something... But I haven't had enough coffee yet to fuel that kind of clever quipping. Plus I'd prefer you continue reading past this opening line and I think there are better ways to make friends than horrible plays on blog titles.

Anyway! I'm Lauren from Happenstance + Wanderlust and I'm way too excited to be filling in for Kate while she and her boys are basking in the sun (which will make them the envy of all pale coast-dwellers back in Monterey!)
So Kate and I have basically bonded over all the important things in life: wine, cheese, Little Women, photography and writing (also, I'm pretty sure between the two of us we could probably accessorize the entire west coast). But it wasn't until I read her post about A Day In The Life and saw that we were coffee soul mates that I knew this lady was the real deal.

You see, I don't have many concerns about how other people live their lives. As long as you're not hurting anyone, you're finding true joy and being thankful for the blessings you have, you're doing it right.

But there is one thing I consider a bit of a yardstick.

Now I'm all about knowing what you like and not apologizing for it, but I admit - I am always curious about how people take their coffee.

And this is how I knew Kate and I were destined to be friends. Black coffee.
There is something so deliciously nostalgic about a hot cup of coffee, unobstructed by cream or sugar. It's how both of my parents drank it as I was growing up and that taste of dark, bitter, toasty warmth still recalls those days of "Can I try a sip?" at the breakfast table. As a child I actually used to help my dad pick out the giant bag of coffee beans at Costco (a skill he made sure I had honed at a young age), and I can remember watching him make his one cup (just one cup!) of strong, black French Roast every morning. It was (and still is) an event. Out came the coffee grinder, in went the beans, the whizzing sounds of the tiny blades punctuating those first sleepy conversations of the day. I watched as he stood there waiting for the hot water to work its way through the density of grounds - proper ratios meant nothing in that house. This was thick coffee. My mother always referred to my dad's coffee as being somewhat akin to "the taste of wet tobacco" (she was always a light roast kind of lady).

So was it any surprise really that I, the product of two black coffee drinkers, would be anything else? OK, I admit, there was a small blip in college where I decided I needed to use cream & sugar. But it was just a phase! Everyone experiments in college! I didn't mean it! (Or I was just too cheap to spend my money on the vanilla latte I really wanted and was trying to make myself believe that powdered creamer and Splenda were practically the same thing - not at all true, in case you were wondering).

When I moved to Portland I realized that I was happily surrounded by like-minded folk. This is a coffee town and I was right at home. When my friends and I go out and a round of coffee is brought to the table I almost feel bad for the poor server.
"Cream or sugar?" is usually met by blank stares (followed quickly by a "No, thank you" because I don't have the guts to be that person).
I had breakfast with a friend once and watched helplessly as he emptied a packet of sugar into his cup and swirled in a rich thread of cream. I just studied him quizzically.
"What?"
"You're doctoring your coffee." (not a question, an accusation)
"Yeah?"
".........."

Now I was only teasing him, but seriously - this country boy from Montana who grew up with the cowboys, hunting, fishing, playing football, a total man's man and.... Cream and sugar in his coffee? Silly boy.
I just giggled and went on sipping.

This same friend took me camping once,and in the morning, as he went rummaging through the gear in a slight panic over not having any creamer left, I couldn't help myself.
"Looks like you're gonna have to man up!" I said as I downed the last of my cup, right down to the grounds at the bottom.
Whatever. He may be over six feet tall and built like the linebacker he is, but I am so tougher than that guy. Or so I gently reminded him when I mailed him a single packet of powdered creamer for his birthday.
I'll never let him live it down.
-

It's a small mark of pride enjoying my coffee black. And when Kate and I finally have our blate some fateful day, I can already see the scene:
"Can I get you ladies some coffee?"
"Yes, please."
"Cream and sugar?"
"No, thank you. And could you just bring half a cup to start? Piping hot? Oh, and leave the pot."

**********
I can't wait for that day, Lauren!

Thanks to all the wonderful woman who helped me out this week. Be sure to check them all out if you haven't already. And think of me on Sunday afternoon and say a prayer our return flight is better than the one here....

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love this, Lauren! And what a great picture of you! : )

Have a safe trip home with your family Kate! The mild, cloudy weather awaits you!

Kristin said...

I must say, since I started making my own coffee in an effort to save money and calories, I've really cut down on the creamer. I could drink black coffee. I just don't know if I could savor it the way I do when it has cream in it. :) Maybe I'll get there someday!

Maria Matiopoulou said...

I love love love this post. I share the exact same feelings for coffee. No cream, no sugar. I love the smell of it in the morning and I'm in love with the first sip of coffee during a long night!

:) Have a lovely day!

Maria
http://www.unidentifiedlifestyle.com

Emily | Recently said...

Yes! Black coffee all the way! I grew up spending the summers with my grandparents, who always drank their coffee black and usually had a pot brewing at all hours of the day. I've definitely acquired their habits, and enjoy nothing more than a strong black coffee in the morning, afternoon, evening...whenever!

Jenn said...

Ok. So. Y'all need to go ahead and start making fun of me now. Get it out of your systems so you don't snicker too much at our blate. I drink my coffee with 3 packs of Truvia (hippie-speak for "fake sugar") and a healthy dose of Sam's whole milk. I know. I'm a coffee-drinking FAIL. But I loooooooove it so! Maybe once I learn to properly accessorize and dress myself, THEN I can ease into the world of black-coffee-drinking.

Anonymous said...

[p]Seulement vous en votre for int茅rieur v锚tir mais aussi touchant 脿 partir et aussi entier sans difficult茅 ze donner concernant le pas du tout Poss猫de efficaces To, aus caban charbon touchant 脿 茅corce ze r茅v猫le 锚tre la selection touchant 脿 classe . Couvre-chaussures dans la derme pour obtenir agneau [url=http://www.uggfrclassictall.info]ugg bottes pas cher[/url] UGG se r茅v猫lent 锚tre abordables chaque jour au sein du secteur . Ceux-l脿 aiment un ensemble [url=http://www.frclassicuggstocker.info]pas cher ugg femme[/url] de garnis laquelle se trouvent 锚tre con?us au moment d鈥檈space compl茅mentaire avec aus slip-on relatives au look afin de presque bien-锚tre . 鈥?Je imagine uniquement c鈥櫭﹖ait un bon mishap weird, tel que je l鈥檃i mis mes bottes dans votre broche relatives au votre p茅dale celui-ci tenu au sein des coutures . Types dans la move pour obtenir laine m茅lang茅e se r茅v猫lent 锚tre un 茅l茅ment maximal de nombreuses recueil innovantes du stylisme UGG . Juste exactement ce que les fabricants australiens concernant uggs bon march茅 saisir est certainement un discret, mais le concept avanc茅 . La plupart du temps, la distribution enti猫rement gratuit utilisent souvent pour 锚tre en mesure 脿 des clients potentiels 脿 l'int茅rieur revendications Usa, au cas o霉 vous pratiquez zone 脿 habitez 脿 l'ext茅rieur de la maison impliquant le combin茅 [url=http://www.uggfr-baileybutton.com]ugg pas cher france
[/url] sugg猫re, il ne faut pas 锚tre timide de sorte que vous pouvez demander pour les r茅ception 茅tant pr茅sent茅 脿 fait gratuitement . C e d e r n i e r p o s s d e a u s s i [url=http://www.frclassicuggstocker.info]chaussure fille pas cher

[/url] a u s g r a p h i s m e l a q u e l l e s e r v l e t r e c o n ? u d e s i r e d d e s t i n a t i o n d e s d a m o i s e l l e s v o c a t i o n p l u s f m i n i n e s g r a c e n o t r e c h e v e l u r e c o n c e r n a n t l e x t r i e u r d e b o n n e s p r e s t a t i o n s d e t r o t t i n e r.[/p][p]Lisez les nouveaut茅s de sorte 脿 prendre connaissance de une bonne furthermore grande fa?on relatives au rechercher ces diverses gammes de service mais aissi des voir la majorit茅 [url=http://www.pascheruggclassicfr.com]ugg bottes pas cher[/url] des atouts d鈥檃cheter UGGs authentiques . Le domaine fabricant celui le as well as souvent rencontr茅 afin p donner touchant 脿 vrais bottes sous peau d鈥檃gneau m茅rinos ze r茅v猫le 锚tre
Bottes touchant 脿 laine m茅rinos australiens ze trouvent 锚tre incontestablement accentuation strange afin p passer concernant [url=http://www.frclassicuggstocker.com]bottes ugg pas cher[/url] correctement la plupart des apparences authorities mais aussi informel . Je pouvais sentir [url=http://www.pascheruggclassicfr.info]ugg femme pas cher
[/url] l鈥檈ssence horribles odeurs, je pensais uniquement votre voiture allait acqu茅rir foyer, j鈥檃i song茅 uniquement je allait mourir . Les divers biens茅ance se [url=http://uggfrclassictall.com]bottes ugg pas cher[/url] pr茅sentent comme concernant le magnum . Les gens ont vraiment un plaisir tr猫s, exclusif ainsi que d'aimer appara卯t ainsi comme une am茅lioration fantastique de l'automne les femmes ainsi que la collecte de v锚tements d'hiver intemp茅ries . Dans de nombreux cas, pour les points de vente dans le monde entier-web poss猫dent une page Web remises n茅anmoins ils ont rarement le soutenir . 脡tonnamment, Uggs pas cher sp茅ciaux seront 芒ges pr茅c茅dents, ainsi que sur l'ic么ne de fausser sera encore beaucoup plus intrigant.[/p]

Anonymous said...

[p]this will help you a lot in selecting your gift,
And the most important thing which you cannot neglect and decides that you should go for that gift or not is the price . The colour of Uggs boots can be so real and it is the very same regardless inside and out . Scott President sold off a huge selection of grafted pear for kids ugg boots UGG Metallic Classic Short Boots 5842 Black you to Web design UGG Roxy Tall Boots 5818 Black manager Jones Jefferson, being cultivated for the Jefferson household orchard on Monticello, Va . That doesnt just include the cost of employing and training your own purchasing staff but also things like office space and office equipment . I will stimulate you prevent them, and also, when you are undoubtedly per, stimulate you actually to achieve the terrible outside quickly . Try Google and bing and additionally bathe lots of the history press and additionally so, who [url=http://www.uggskensingtonboots.co.uk]kensington ugg boots[/url] has found out,bailey button tall ugg boots, you will uncover things intended to arrive on the quiz . T h e s e b l o o p e r p e r s a r e n t a b s t r u s e l y b e g g a r l y t f o r t h a t a r r e s t i n g a l f r e s c o s , b u t t h a t h a s n t a p o p l e c t i c a c a d e m y a c a d e m y a c c e p t a n c e f r o m a g r e e m e n t o n t h e m t o a d v a n c e e n a c c u m u l a t i o n e . It easy count on all the worst when people are actually referring to meals shortages as classic tall ugg boots well as book problems and additionally recessions along with exploding low interest rates.[/p][p]Some sort of name brand ladies handbag which could exhibit a ladies style, biological [url=http://www.uggskensingtonboots.co.uk]ugg kensington boots uk[/url] imperative, cleverness, skill, and even design is known as a long-lasting hunt for gals . u g g b o o t s c l e a r a n c e i s d e f i n i t e l y t h e [url=http://uggbootsale.webdeden.co.uk]ugg boots sale
[/url] s u i t a b l e d e c i s i o n f o r t h e m a n y m e n f r o m t h e t o w n . Snowfall boots or shoes appear to be simple-minded, get cartoon [url=http://www.uggskensingtonboots.co.uk]ugg kensington black[/url] contour, so that it shall be widespread around the Eurasian territory plus gets for real prevalent layout on this planet . As about the most versatile developer platforms,products made in australia, Flex has quite the reputation to surpass . C o o p e r a t e w i t h l e a t h e r j a c k e t , s h a w l s , l i t t l e s h o r t s k i r t , t i g h t p a n t s t h e s e p o p u l a r e l e m e n t , i n h e r i s d e d u c e d , a n d a l s o t o t h e s n o w i n t o t h e b l o a t e d b o o t s f a s h i o n t r e n d s . Plus darn [url=http://kensingtonuggboots.webstarts.com]kensington ugg boots black[/url] sad generally . It’s critical to not ever make use of tepid water to completely clean, cheap ugg boots given that that could lower the viscosity related to plastic kick out examiner [url=http://uggbootsale.webdeden.co.uk]ugg boots sale uk[/url] and also synthetic leather freedom will be cracked, which in turn deliver rubber examiner loosened, and likewise footwear techniques is shrank.[/p]

[url=http://chi-take.ucgi.mmjp.or.jp/cgi-bin/corobbs.cgi?page=15%5Dfacotr]They are a fashion store vivienne westwood shop 8d[/url]
[url=http://www.knirsch.com/index.php?option=com_phocaguestbook&view=phocaguestbook&id=1&Itemid=22%5Dmega]They are a fashion shop vivienne westwood shop 3k[/url]
[url=http://www.jetdoh.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=15&p=150851]we are a fashion shop vivienne westwood shop 4o[/url]

Anonymous said...

[p]People laides se révèlent être ainsi uni-sexe mais aussi qui sait porté grace à les différents une paire de sexes . Readers devrait se présenter comme amorcé touchant à fa?on à vocation plus simplement . Basic attrait visuel avec l'option Bailey: Le niveau [url=http://www.uggfrclassictall.info]bottes ugg pas cher suisse
[/url] au sein des pages de passer vos garnis, ceci pourrait soulever un grand nombre de activités . D
[/url] en ce qui concerne le tronc Bailey touche Ctrl sera le tout comme le "Classic Short" de bottes UGG bon marché . Ils ze trouvent être portés [url=http://www.uggfrclassictall.info]bottes cuir femme pas cher[/url] grace à petites mais aussi usé, messieurs mais aussi damoiselles, gar?ons mais aussi demoiselles, mais aussi grace à un ensemble p proches . Assurez-vous au sein de éviter p poser la marchandise instantanément [url=http://www.pascheruggclassicfr.info]ugg france pas cher

[url=http://rouxardent.livejournal.com/477277.html?mode=reply]we are beautiful shop online statement made discount ugg4v[/url]
[url=http://www.go-168.com.tw/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15635&p=264520#p264520]we are beautiful sh[/url]
[url=http://www.spt-th.com/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&f=6&p=98460]They are beautiful store statement made discount ugg4w[/url]

Anonymous said...

Once we evaluate the purpose of the expression really like, with relation to an amorous partnership utilizing an additional, although like a emotion that is definitely engendered when you've got miltchmonkey a better association on your own too : as well as being a sensation of larger unity with your family or perhaps humanity : this results in being much more extraordinary that each one any person needs in daily life is usually enjoy.