Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Cranberry Goat Cheese Spinach Dip

Back in June, when I was in VA visiting my mom, we survived much on a diet of wine and appetizers (don't worry, that is how we like it). I love a good app, especially on the weekends, when I don't feel like cooking and hubby has finally accepted that a few appetizers and a cocktail definitely count as dinner.

One of my go-to dips is a spinach one that I developed over time and one afternoon, I went to make it for my mom and I, only to not find the ingredients that I normally use. So I improvised and came up with this delicious combination of flavor.
-Cranberry Goat Cheese
-Parmesan Cheese
-Nutmeg
-Cranberry Goat Cheese
-Cream Cheese (I mean, can you ever have enough cheese in one recipe?)
-1 onion
-Butter
-Fresh Spinach
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-Walnuts

1. In one pan, preheat a few turns of EVOO on high high. Add spinach (I usually use an entire bag, it wilts quickly). Once it is wilted, add a few pinches of nutmeg, it gives the spinach a really nice flavor.

2. Dice onion.

2. Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter on medium high. Add onion and cook until soft.

3. Roughly chop cream cheese and goat cheese, add to onion and butter mixture (turn heat down to medium). Stir until creamy.
4. Stir in spinach and nuts.
 5. Put in a pretty bowl and sprinkle some Parmesan Cheese on top. Pour a glass of wine if that hasn't happened yet.
 6. Enjoy with crackers or tortilla chips!

What is your favorite appetizer?

18 comments:

Marinewife1111 {Marcella} said...

I am an appetizer kind of girl!! Although I admit, this one sounds a little scary! ;)

laurenjeanallece said...

This will be on the blate menu, right?

Jenn said...

Yes, I think you just volunteered to cook this for the blate. And judging by those countertops, you made this in my kitchen and then didn't let me try any?? Wha??
What do you typically use to dip in it? A cracker? Vegetable? Spoon?

eas said...

Yum! I'm a big fan of plain old tomato bruschetta or brie with fig jam on crackers.

Courtney said...

I'm an appetizer girl too- this looks yummy!

Lacy in the Sky with Diapers said...

This.looks.damn.good.

Shannon said...

This looks fancy and good.

And I'm obsessed with goat cheese. Just may have to make it! :)

marie said...

Cheese & nuts are a match made in heaven. I love goat cheese and have tried a fig goat cheese that is incredible, but one of these days I am going to have to try the blueberry goat cheese from Costco.

smk053078 said...

OH MY HEAVENS!!! I am bookmarking this! Looks and sounds dee-lish!!!
Shanna

Alexa said...

Um....this one! ;) Looks so yummy!

The Not Quite Military Wife said...

This sounds delicious! I used to attend dinner parties at my boss's house that only had apps the whole night. It was the best!

Kristin said...

I have no idea why people even cook full meals. I could live on appetizers. I mean, I just munch on snacks all day. This looks good, but I admit I've never tried goat cheese!

Stephanie McCall said...

yum! this is right up my alley- I'm a snacking machine and much prefer a couple apps to a full entree

Ashley said...

Um...yum!!! I was actually looking for a spinach dip for a shower I need to bring something to! Thanks, girl!

Kari said...

Holy crap that looks delicious! I often order apps as entrees at dinner cause it's the best stuff on the menu! duh!!!
My go to easy app is light cream cheese, chopped pineapple and 4-5 diced up hot peppers like jalapenos and Serrano chiles-- :)

xoxo

Maria Matiopoulou said...

I've never tried anything similar but this looks so tasty! I usually make bruschettas for appetizer at home, simple, tasty and quick!

Have a lovely day!

Maria

Susan said...

Kate this looks fantastic! Ahh I love it! Definitely will try it, it's such a unique flavor combination!

Meg {henninglove} said...

oooh this dip looks great!! love it kate