Thursday, August 30, 2012

DIY Abstract Art

On Tuesday, I was feeling inspired to get a little crafty, and I was in desperate need of changing the look above my couch in the living room. So we headed to Michael's in the morning to pick up a canvas and during nap, I created this.
 My taste in art is usually very classic (think oil paintings of Paris) and Kev loves photography, so this piece is very different from everything else in out house, but I was in the mood an abstract update. Plus, for $15, it was much cheaper than buying real art.

The process was easy. I used green paint left over from my bedroom makeover for the background and rolled it on. It quickly covered in one coat.
 Then, using some craft paints, I dropped a color at a time randomly on the canvas and hit it with a fly swatter. Yep, a fly swatter. Cullen and I do this on paper all the time for fun and art-time, so it is really what inspired me to do it on a large scale because his designs always came out so cool looking.
 C woke up in time to help with the finishing touches.
 And here it is hanging in my living room. (My mom suggested a frame to really anchor it, I think she is right, don't you?)
 And I tried it above our bed. (Please excuse my unfluffed pillows)
Which look do you prefer? 

PS See those awesome colorful pillows on my couch? The are pillow covers from my friend Gosia's Etsy Shop. Check it out HERE.

18 comments:

Kristina said...

Love it! I think I like it best above your bed, it brings out the color in your pillows. My sister-in-law made an abstract painting for us and we put it in the play room. We never framed it. I kinda like the raw canvas look!

Tina said...

It is beautiful! Love the colors you chose. I think I like it best above thr bed. The colors are so peaceful and relaxing.

AR said...

Above the bed!!

laurenjeanallece said...

I love this! I'm a big fan of the DIY art for the home (especially if I had a little one to help out! That's going to be so much fun for him to know he helped make something so focal in the home!)

I like the idea of framing it and I think I'm with the others - looks beautiful above the bed! (the colors all tie together so well!)

And finally, that couch is amazing.

Anonymous said...

I like it above the bed without it framed, but I bet it would look great above the couch if it was framed. Either way... it looks great!! :) Gotta love that fly swatter art!! ;)
~Kelly Con

eas said...

I love the colors! I think it looks best above the bed although with a frame I'd like it above the couch.

Tarabelle said...

Get some thick, chunky crown molding from Lowes and frame it and then hang it over your couch! It's super easy to do and it really adds some heft to the piece!

Tara

http://tarabelle-adropofink.blogspot.com/

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

So fun! I think it looks best above the bed. A simple frame might add to it as well!

Heather @ Cookies For Breakfast said...

What an awesome idea! I love it as-is over your bed - gorgeous! Love your headboard too!

Marcella{The Life of a Military Family} said...

I agree with most, I like it above the bed and I don't think it needs a frame if it's there!

Courtney said...

So pretty, I vote above the bed!

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

I vote above the bed, it looks like it fits perfect there!! Either way, I love the painting.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I like it over the bed. I think you should try a larger one behind the sofa or surround it behind the sofa with other pics.

Nicole said...

I prefer over the bed. I like it. It's pretty cool!

Erin said...

I also vote above the bed.

Buttons said...

Love it over the bed I am not sure if it needs a frame or not. I like it. B

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Such a super cute idea!! Looks great! I like it best over the bed!! :D

Brittany said...

Love it over the bed--I think a frame would make it look really nice and expensive!