Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Grilled Artichokes With Aioli Dipping Sauce

Since artichokes are so popular here in Monterey (we live just down the road from 'The Artichoke Capital of the World': Castroville, CA), Kev has been asking me to make them. The task seemed daunting and complicated, but after a googling a few recipes, I managed to come up with a successful recipe for our local veggie.

First up, prepare your artichokes by cutting off the spiky leaves and 1/3 of the top.
 Rub open ends with lemon juice to prevent from turning brown. Drop into pot of boiling water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until you can stick a fork into the stem. (Note: make sure it is really soft. I took mine off too early and our outer leaves were not as well done as I would have liked).

While artichokes are simmering, prepare marinade.
 Chop garlic, chop shallot, squeeze out lemon juice, whisk together with all the rest of the stuff (we don't run and exact kitchen around here).

Pull artichokes off stove and soak in an ice bath for a few minutes. Cut in half and remove the hairy leaves and the purple ones too. Put in a baggie with marinade until grill is hot (or longer if you are cooking them later).
 Grill artichokes for 5-7 minutes on both sides.

Prepare aioli.
Shallots, garlic, mayo, hot sauce, capers and more lemon juice. Whisk until delicious.

Pull artichokes off the grill and serve with aioli (o and grate a little fresh cheese on there, because cheese makes everything better). 
It is a little time consuming, but worth it! 

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

These look awesome! I'll admit that artichokes scare me to make...I need to just do it now though!

Jenn said...

Looks delicious! The last time I got brave enough to buy one of those scary-looking suckers, I let it rot in my veggie drawer in the fridge. Maybe I'll give it another go soon...

eas said...

Yum! They look so good! I miss those fresh artichokes!

Heather said...

Sounds yummy! My husband loves artichokes!

Stephanie said...

Oh my word, this looks amazing!

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

Hey there! Just gave you the Sunshine Award: http://www.theforeigndomestic.com/2012/08/sunshine-award.html

The New Normal said...

That looks wonderful! I have never been brave enough to try one of those, but I know my husband would LOVE this recipe. Maybe I'll have to step out of my cooking comfort zone and try it!

Jamie said...

Oh my gosh. Yum.