Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tis the Season: 3 Favorite Cold-Weather Recipes

Hi, friends of Kate's and happy holidays! I'm Kelly, Kate's friend from college (War Eagle!) - i'm also a fellow blogger over at Fitting Back In (where I write about running, reading, weight lifting and life) and Healthified Kitchen (where I post all of my recipes, meal plans and "food stuff.)

I don't know about you guys but I'm SO feeling this holiday season. To be honest, I wasn't feeling it last week. I just wasn't in the mood, the weather wasn't cold enough and I didn't even feel like shopping. True story. However, I spent Monday - Wednesday in Chicago and am in the full-on Christmas spirit now, and have enjoyed ordering gifts for my loved ones and writing letters to friends and family. Ah. Tis the season. One thing i'm also TOTALLY feeling is chili. Soups. Cold-weather eats. My goal for this weekend? To stay in and cook a few soups, freeze them and have them ready to eat with a quick defrost! Yes, this may sound VERY lame, but to me it sounds like a wonderful chill weekend, the calm before the storm that will be our upcoming travels. Anywho, enough rambling, here are my 3 favorite soups/chilis - I hope to make them all this weekend! Enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Recipe from My Bizzy Kitchen
Makes 4 servings

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 stalks celery, diced
½ large red pepper, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
2 ½ tbsp of chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
½ tbsp paprika
¼ cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) black beans, drained
1 (15 oz) chili beans in sauce (do not drain)
salt and pepper to taste
4 tbsp fat-free sour cream
Jalapeno, sliced thinly

Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. Shred chicken with two forks. Divide into four servings and serve with fat-free sour cream and jalapeno slices.

Nutritional Information (including sour cream): 417 calories, 55 carbs, 3 fat grams and 40 protein grams.

Review: So good. Spicy but cool, flavorful, filling and I really felt like I was eating something really bad for me – but it’s not! I used all of Biz’s stuff – just cut it in half and decided to use the slow cooker...and was lazy and didn't puree the celery, garlic and red pepper!

Recipe by Gina’s Weight Watchers Recipes
Pasta Fagioli
Makes 4 Servings

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, small to medium size
½ tbsp minced garlic
1 celery stalk, diced
1 15 oz can cannellini beans
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 large bay leaf
1 tbsp basil, dried
1 tbsp parsley, dried
1 tsp oregano, dried
4 cups fat free chicken broth (or 2 cans)
2 cups water
Sea salt and pepper to taste
8 oz. small pasta (I used mini fusili)
8 tsp grated parmesan cheese
40 grams fresh mozzarella, grated

In a deep pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Blend can of beans with one cup water in electric blender until smooth. Add blended beans to pan then add the tomato sauce, celery, chicken broth, basil, bay leaf, parsley, oregano, sea salt and pepper. Add 1 cup water and bring to slow boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions. Ladle soup into bowls, remove bay leaf, and top each serving with 2 tsp grated parmesan and 10 grams fat free mozzarella.

Nutritional Information: 418 calories, 70 carbs, 9 fat grams and 20 protein grams.

Review: You guys! It was so creamy and fabulous like MELT in my mouth. I can’t wait to make this again and make more of it. Me and my husband are officially obsessed with this new, rich, filling recipe.

Creamy White Chili
Recipe adapted from My Kitchen Café
Makes 6 Servings

20 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup onion, diced
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil
2 15.5-oz. cans Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-oz. can chicken broth
1 4-oz. can chopped green chilies 1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream
Optional: fresh cilantro for garnish

In a large saucepan, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and cream. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information: 384 calories, 27 carbs, 15 fat grams and 29 protein grams.

Review: Wow. The sour cream + whipping cream base really make this soup taste sinful. The can of green chiles adds a nice kick, but it's mild (add a second can for even more!). There is nothing I would do different. The serving may not look huge but it packs a lot of protein with the chicken and beans and kept me full for hours.

Q: What's your favorite cold-weather dish? I'm just all about some soups and chilis! Risotto and casseroles sound great, too! :)

Q: Are you in the holiday spirit? How is your Christmas shopping coming along? I'm almost done... yay!!

2 comments:

Kim Williams said...

yummy food.

boo that you are already done with your shopping. ha. i have weeks left... wait.... no i don't!

fittingbackin said...

Kim - one word: Amazon. :) I honestly did the VAST majority of my shopping online! Don't judge. haha