Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Three Simple Suppers

I don't know about you, but meal planning is not always easy around here. We try to eat as a family every night, but that means I need a dinner I can make during naptime and have simmering and ready to go at 5:45, or something I can easily whip up in 30 minutes or less while the boys are running beneath my feet waiting for  Daddy to get home. 

Here are three successes from this week.


This was awesome. I served it with a side of rice (the leftovers which will be used later in the week) and cornbread. It was a perfect family meal since the boys ate everything but the corn. The only thing I would do differently is half the recipe because it made a ton. The full recipe would be great for entertaining though!


The recipe comes from a girl who pre-froze her ingredients for a week of cooking, but I just made fresh. I also added chopped green pepper, a can of black beans and left over corn from the Boil (toward the end). We served it with corn bread (also from the night before), mexican cheese and cilantro. It made enough left over to freeze and use for a later date. Cullen ate his on a taco and I think we might try that with the leftovers.

Vegetable Fried Rice

Ingredients:
Cold, leftover rice (white or brown)
Vegetable Oil
Soy Sauce
Salt and Pepper
Frozen Stir Fry Veggies
Chopped carrots, onion and celery

1. Heat vegetable oil in large wok
2. Add chopped veggies, fresh and frozen
3. Stir in rice
4. Add soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste

I love making this because it is healthy (and cheaper!) than take out, plus I can throw whatever left over I have on hand (chicken, pork chops, other veggies...). It is great for the boys too because they both eat the veggies in it. Apparently soy sauce masks the taste of peas and broccoli. Win for us all.

*****
What are some of your go to weeknight recipes? 

13 comments:

Nicole said...

Thanks for sharing these great recipes. I like the idea of a country boil in the crockpot. I'm a big fan of the crockpot. It's like having my own cook around. Plus I have way more energy in the morning to prepare dinner than in the evening.

I'll Love You Forever said...

Will have to try! They all look yummy. White Chili is one of my fav. meals! Goodness, now I am hungry! haha

Mad Max and Family said...

Those look deliciious - and somewhat similar to dishes we make. Luckily my husband is the cook in the house, I'm already running on fumes! Now that I am back at work he usually does it before we get home (he gets home around 4:30 right now...and we get home around 5:30 or even after 6. This should be changing soon though w/ the move!

-Tara

http://madmaxandfamily.blogspot.com

Shawna said...

Yum! I'm the world's worst meal planner haha. I pretty much rotate spaghetti, hamburgers, and roast :-P

Anonymous said...

Joe made a Shrimp boil once like that and I vowed to NEVER, EVER eat it again. He made it so spicy I had to eat like a whole row of saltine's to even survive. so bad. lol ;)

Heather said...

Yum! Great recipes! I would love to try the vegetable fried rice.

Hannah/ Mommarazzi said...

I am going to have to give that country boil a try, it looks amazing!

Jen said...

That country boil looks amazing, I will have to try it sometime. :)

marie said...

I am a huge fan of the crock pot, I put in chicken, black beans, corn, a can of tomatoes, an onion, a can of green chiles, cook it all day and top it with cheese, sour cream and avocado. This is a go to meal of mine, we all love it.

Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

Yum! That white chili sounds fantastic! I made Baked Spinach and Chicken Flautas last night, and they were really good! http://www.healthy-delicious.com/2012/03/baked-chicken-and-spinach-flautas/

Stephanie said...

These look so good! Especially the country boil! YUM!

Tessa D'Angelo said...

Hi! I am a new follower and I just love your little dudes! Thanks for being such an awesome mom and for posting some of these yummy recipies!! Im for sure gonna try them out!

Janna Renee said...

I totally just pinned this post for these recipes! Yum!