Sunday, October 13, 2013

Recipe for Disaster

1. Wake up at 4am for a 4:30 departure for West Point
2. Pile 3 kids in the car and hope for the best during the 5+ hour road trip to NY
3. Plan to spend the day on foot with strollers, walking miles up and down hill
4. Attend a football game in the middle of nap time and plan to visit several tailgates 
5. Head back to a gracious friend's house where we will all sleep in one room and have W's first night in a pack-n-play

What could go wrong, right?

You see, I have this enormous tiny problem with worst-case-scenario travel anxiety. I always get myself worked up before we leave, absolutely convinced that whatever we are going will not go well. I'd like to think that because of this, my expectations are always exceeded, but in this case, they truly were. 

None of those things above really went wrong, even though they had so much potential to.

We left early Saturday morning and even though the boys were awake for the first hour (pointing out how cool all the lights were), they then slept for two hours and the rest of our trip up was fairly easy. We arrived at our Monterey-turned-West-Point friends Tyler and Dena's house to freshen up and then headed down to meet up with Kev's little brother Mike who is a cadet before the game started.




The boys were so excited to see Uncle Mike and visit his room. It was Kev's first time back in the barracks since he graduated and he said it was definitely weird how much it had not changed at all.
Next was the Homecoming game vs Eastern Michigan. The boys were SO excited to go to a real football game, but unfortunately, got totally overwhelmed when we got in. At one point, Cullen looked at me with alligator tears and said "I don't like West Point. I want to go home." I told him that he would probably be saying that again in 14 years.


After a healthy lunch of pretzels and skittles, and several games of musical- children-out-of-the-stands, they had a great time. 


Within minutes of leaving the stadium, big boys were out, while W focused on his elephant hanging from his carrier. 

Tailgate #1 was some of Kev's old soccer teammates. Number 2 was with Mike and his friends and finally #3 was the Class of 2003 10 Year Reunion. I loved meeting so many of Kev's friends and especially loved seeing Monterey friend Cassie with her new baby Jax (the baby's not quite as excited) and the boys had a blast with some old tires next to the tent. 




The day ended with a 2 mile up hill walk (in my outfit, but not walking long distances, appropriate cowboy boots) back to Tyler and Dena's where we put the boys to bed, had a drink with our friends and went to bed with the expectation of being up all night... until we actually had the best night sleep we've had in two months. Wells slept until 2am (from 8pm) and then again until 7am, while the boys cuddled on the air mattress all night without climbing into our bed.

Sunday morning included out to breakfast with everyone, followed by another fairly easy trip home and super early bedtimes for three boys:
A Recipe for Disaster avoided. 

21 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm glad you avoided all the worst case scenarios. The campus is beautiful! And all the pictures with the boys and their jerseys will definitely be fun to look back on when they are possibly students :) Happy you all had a wonderful weekend!

Rachel Ross said...

I'm so glad it went well! I'm the exact same way when it comes to trips..haha I'm just preparing myself for the worst, right?! 😊

Tyler said...

It was great having you all here, West Point seems to keep those worst case scenarios at bay! Come visit again anytime. ~Tyler and Dena

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

sounds like the perfect weekend, lets hope this is the sleep pattern for W for a while

B. said...

Wow! I'm so glad it went well. I dread travelling with kids, but it usually isn't as bad as I anticipate.

Jenn said...

And once again your family proves to be completely amazing!! You look GREAT and Kev just seems to be in his element there.

Poor Cullen- take that child to an Auburn game so he doesn't end up hating football for the rest of his life.

Hilary @ Peanut Butter Spoonfuls said...

That is an incredible performance the boys put on! I too get major travel anxiety so my expectations are (usually) exceeded. I think you played it right going for only one night. I find the disaster always starts around night 3 or 4 when everything just comes off the rails.

fittingbackin said...

so glad it all worked out! Yes, lots of potential things that could go wrong but, you were prepared for the worst so it makes it easier to take it in stride! We had a somewhat similar experience this weekend - I was crazy nervous/anxious about our first Auburn weekend, Beckett's first game, how she would sleep for her first time rooming in with us since the hospital, how the dogs would do, how she would take both of her naps at a tailgate, etc. but it went surprisingly well!

Meghan said...

Wow I am impressed more didn't go wrong! I find I my husband expects the worst so we haven't done a big vacation as a result! Not sure why since on every day trip we've done so far Noah has surprised us just like your kids!

April said...

Good job Wells on sleeping and glad that the trip turned out better than you expected. We always expect worse case scenario too with our kids so that we don't get bummed if stuff doesn't work out.

Jessie said...

Fantastic weekend! How fun. Our family all slept in the same room this weekend too. I found a little cotton in my ears dulled my super mommy hearing senses and I actually slept!

Kace said...

I usually have the same fears and they are usually reinforced. LOL I'm glad you avoided disaster, though and had a nice time. :)

I'll Love You Forever said...

Great pictures!! Glad everything went better than expected!! The boys are so stinkin' cute! You look gorgeous!

Jen said...

These are wonderful pictures! :) Seems like a great time.

Lauren said...

what a fun & memorable time for your family! I'm horrible about thinking the worst about situations too...glad none of that come to happen for you guys!

Kristin said...

You must be a master organizer/planner/packer. Glad it went well(s)!

Sarah said...

Jax and Well's faces are THE BEST part of this post!! So cute.

Dee Stephens said...

IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm serious!
Shelby isn't much into sleeping in her car seat so our trip wasn't as I had expected but nevertheless we did it!
Love all the pictures!

Stephanie said...

SO MUCH FUN! I'm so glad it turned out well, and I hope you guys had the best time! Love these pictures...I hope one day Erik and I can get over to West Point for the Army Navy game! : )

Katiern827 said...

Whew! What a relief! You are seriously super mom. I would have been terrified to attempt any of those things!

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Beautiful pictures, glad the trip went over well for you all. I'd love to visit West Point one day, I hear its beautiful.