My friend is going to use the chairs for a game table and wanted them black with animal print fabric. I first stripped the red fabric off the chairs, trying to keep the seat fabric as much in tact as possible so I could use it as a pattern for the new seat cover. Luckily, the padding was in great shape and I didn't have to do anything with it. Next, I lightly sanded and wiped down the original wood. The last prep step was figuring out how to cover the padding in order to not spray paint it. Honestly, I should have just left the old fabric on and sprayed over it. In the end, I used a dish towel and a lot of painter's tape. It was a really pain and I still managed to get paint on some of the padding. I used two coats of Krylon's Satin Black Spray Paint to cover the white wood.
I didn't take a picture of this step, but where a lot of the etching in the wood was, the spray paint didn't cover well. So I headed back to Lowe's and got a sample size of Valspar Black Satin paint and went back over the chair by hand. I probably didn't have to, but I could tell a difference when I was done and it made me happy.
To reupholster the seats, I took the original fabric and used it as a pattern for the new piece. It makes life a lot easier. I then fitted the chairs with the new fabric and used a little bit of spray adhesive around the edges so the fabric would fit smoothly around the chair. I then reinforced the corners and middle with staples.
The upholstery last step was to hot glue gun trim around the bottom and the arms to cover the staples and imperfections. And the very last step was to towel the wood down with Wipe-On Poly to protect the paint and make the chairs shine.
I hope she likes them!
I know this is already a really long post, but tomorrow is my birthday, so I'll be taking a long weekend :) So here is a sweet picture of my darling boy to get you through til Monday.