Wednesday, February 13, 2013

This Lent, I Hope To...


Fast from emphasis on difference; feast on the unity of life.

Fast from apparent darkness; feast on the reality of life.

Fast from thoughts of illness; feast on the healing power of God.

Fast from words that pollute; feast on phrases that purify.

Fast from discontent; feast on gratitude.

Fast from anger; feast on patience.

Fast from pessimism; feast on optimism.

Fast from worry; feast on divine order.

Fast from complaining; feast on appreciation.

Fast from negatives; feast on affirmatives.

Fast from unrelenting pressures; feast on unceasing prayer.

Fast from hostility; feast on forgiveness. 

Fast from self-concern; feast on compassion for others. 

Fast from personal anxiety; feast on eternal truth. 

Fast from discouragements; feast on hope. 

Fast from facts that depress; feast on verities that uplift. 

Fast from lethargy; feast on enthusiasm. 

Fast from thoughts that weaken; feast on promises that inspire. 

Fast from shadows of sorrow; feast on the sunlight of serenity. 

Fast from idle gossip; feast on purposeful silence. 

-Peter Millar. Our Hearts Still Sing

(Thanks to Susan for this wonderful prayer. She posted it last year and its words are still what I hope to work on this Lenten Season, and always.)

11 comments:

Ashley said...

beautiful pray!

Shelly said...

I love it. Thanks for sharing.

marie said...

Usually it's a food item, which I never do (don't participate anyway) your list is so much better! Gossip, it's taken me years but I feel truly over the need now to know or talk about others, I feel it just makes me uglier.

Jen said...

I absolutely love this!!!! :)

lauren jean allece said...

I love this so much. I remember reposting it from you last year and I think I'm going to have to again.

Hugs & love to all of the Larrabees!

Heather said...

How beautiful! Whether we're religious or not, we all need to fast from the negatives and feast on the positives in life each and every day.

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

LOVE your blog and am a new follower. I think the main reason I love it is bc you are a NorCal girl too! My husband and I are up in Palo Alto. :)

We are actually headed your way next week to see the aquarium!

Kerry said...

What beautiful and inspiring words!

MarmePurl said...

This is Beautiful.

Susan said...

I'm so glad that you love these words Kate, I definitely love looking at them on my bulletin board when I pass by. Hope your having a blessed Lent so far!

Janna Renee said...

So you sound like the only person in the world that actually understands what Lent is about. This is a beautiful poem!