Thursday, March 24, 2011

Happy Anniversary!

Today is husband and my 4th wedding anniversary. So in honor of us, I thought I'd share the (really long) story of how we met and ended up together.

The summer after I graduated from high school, I spent my days babysitting my two little brothers and Kev's little brother and sister. As a result, Kev and I met on July 4th, 2002. That particular week, even though he was home from West Point and supposed to be watching his siblings, his little sister insisted I still come over to help. We ended up spending the day together and watching fireworks from his parents dock that night, then went on a late night 'date' to Silver Diner where he drank a pot of coffee and told me all about West Point and I sat pretty quiet hoping Auburn would be nothing like that (it wasn't).

The next day, we ended up at the same concert downtown DC. I stalked him out and took this picture. Could we be anymore awkward?

As I headed off to college and he headed back for his senior year at Army, we remained friends via IM (do people still IM?) and the next summer spent a good bit of time together whenever he was in town. When fall of 2003 rolled around, I went out to Ft. Sill, OK to visit him once and he came to Auburn twice, but our lives at that point were just so different and we soon lost touch for over a year.

In January of 2005 I found out from his family that he was deploying to Iraq for a year and was able to see him briefly before he left. Then, in April, I sent him a birthday card and conversation started again. When he came home on R and R, we spent every moment we could together and when he left to go back to Iraq, I promised I would write him everyday. For the next 7 months, I did without fail.

In December 2005, I graduated from college and a month later Kev came home from his deployment. I flew down to Savannah to see him and came back knowing I would marry him. Six months later we were engaged. Seven months after that, we were married. Up til our wedding day, we had never seen each other for more than 8 consecutive days (and that had only happened once). Six weeks after we got married, he deployed again, this time separating us for 15 months. Then finally, in August of 2008, we moved here to Winston and were able to start a normal life.

Even though it took us a long time to get where we are now, I wouldn't have it any other way. I love him more today than I did 4 years ago and am some grateful for the wonderful relationship we have. Here's to at least 67 years more.

8 comments:

Elle Cay said...

LOVE the post. Happy annniversary!

Erin said...

Sigh. I love love stories. Adore that wedding photo by the way. Glad to see you two got more comfortable taking photos together before the big day ;)

Tyler said...

I love your story! Ryan and I were talking about loving one another more than the day we got married last week. Not only do I love the guy more, I appreciate him more too. Happy Anniversary! Cheers to 67 more!

Alysa Regen said...

Nicholas Sparks should jump on this...

Blushing Bride to Be said...

Happy Anniversary!

fittingbackin said...

beautiful story!! I feel like I knew bits and pieces to this, but reading it all here together and knowing how happy you are and what a great family you're building it's just so sweet. I'm so happy for you - happy anniversary!

Bridget said...

Love this post, Kate! Brought back so many memories of living these times with you! (including that amazing photo in DC...wow we were young!) Love you and Kev...you guys are the best!

Eliza said...

I just found this post via the one you wrote today - how adorable! I love your story. I should write about T and I's sometime :) xo! eliza