Hi, my name is Kate and I have major holiday anxiety. Hi Kate. Whew, good to get that out there.
We travel back to DC in one week and this morning I officially hit my Grinch wall. The thought of packing and organizing for 4 people for 3 weeks is daunting. Add planning to entertain a baby and a toddler for 7 hours worth of flights. And a 3 hour time change. Then multiply that by the at least 4 different beds the boys will sleep in over the course of those 3 weeks. And the drives in between each place. Plus my (self-induced) fear that at least one person will be mad at me at all times because we aren't dividing the time just right. This all equals me staring blanklessly into my coffee cup this morning with a knot in my stomach that nothing will go right. Now, let me stress again, this anxiety is completely made up in my head, but I can't help but get overwhelmed. It happens every year. So, to keep myself in check, I'm going to make a little list of things I am looking forward and hopefully unwind the knot.
10. A little cold weather, maybe even some snow? There is none in the forecast as far as I can see, but a girl can hope. It will be a nice change from the static weather we have here.
9.Wine, lots of wine. Last year I was pregs with Bennett and unable to drink the wine. With families like ours, participation in drinking is sort of essential. So glad I won't be left out this year :)
8. Having a night out with my friends and my brothers. The last time I went to a bar, not pregnant, without the responsibility of returning home to take care of my children was in September of 2010. Let's take bets on how long I can stay out. I'm going to call it a win if I make it past 11.
7. Seeing the cousins. On Kev's side of the family, there are 7 boys under the age of 5. Let's say that again: 7 boys under the age of 5. And we will all be together at his parents' house for several days. Chaos? Yes. Special? Most certainly. Cullen is over-the-top excited about hanging with the boys.
6. Visiting with my grandparents. I love that my boys have great-grandparents to know and can't wait to see them!
5. B's first Christmas! Do you know how much more fun Christmas is as a parent? So much.
4.Cullen's excitement. This time last year, C knew that Santa said "ho, ho, ho" and learned his colors from the Christmas tree lights. This year he is fired up Larrabee style (my husband's family are the most excited people I know. Having a bad day? Call my father in law. Seriously.) Bring on Baby Jesus and Santa!
3. Going to my parent's farm. We have already created such special memories there since my parents bought it last spring. I know my mom will have it decorated so beautifully and can't wait to sit by the fire and take in the view.
2. Bennett's baptism. I mentioned last week that we will be getting B baptized at our home church. It is the same church Kev and I made many sacraments in growing up, were married in and got Cullen baptized at. In fact, if you go all the way back to 1992, it is where my mom and Kev's dad met when they taught religious ed together and became family friends, which ultimately led to me babysitting Kev's siblings 10 years later and us meeting. Thanks St. Francis for making that happen.
1. We will be together. Even though I whine and complain that Kev isn't around a lot, the fact of the matter is that he is home, and safe, and we will be able to spend Christmas together as a family. I never want to take that for granted.
We travel back to DC in one week and this morning I officially hit my Grinch wall. The thought of packing and organizing for 4 people for 3 weeks is daunting. Add planning to entertain a baby and a toddler for 7 hours worth of flights. And a 3 hour time change. Then multiply that by the at least 4 different beds the boys will sleep in over the course of those 3 weeks. And the drives in between each place. Plus my (self-induced) fear that at least one person will be mad at me at all times because we aren't dividing the time just right. This all equals me staring blanklessly into my coffee cup this morning with a knot in my stomach that nothing will go right. Now, let me stress again, this anxiety is completely made up in my head, but I can't help but get overwhelmed. It happens every year. So, to keep myself in check, I'm going to make a little list of things I am looking forward and hopefully unwind the knot.
9.Wine, lots of wine. Last year I was pregs with Bennett and unable to drink the wine. With families like ours, participation in drinking is sort of essential. So glad I won't be left out this year :)
8. Having a night out with my friends and my brothers. The last time I went to a bar, not pregnant, without the responsibility of returning home to take care of my children was in September of 2010. Let's take bets on how long I can stay out. I'm going to call it a win if I make it past 11.
7. Seeing the cousins. On Kev's side of the family, there are 7 boys under the age of 5. Let's say that again: 7 boys under the age of 5. And we will all be together at his parents' house for several days. Chaos? Yes. Special? Most certainly. Cullen is over-the-top excited about hanging with the boys.
6. Visiting with my grandparents. I love that my boys have great-grandparents to know and can't wait to see them!
5. B's first Christmas! Do you know how much more fun Christmas is as a parent? So much.
| Cullen last year, so not excited. |
2. Bennett's baptism. I mentioned last week that we will be getting B baptized at our home church. It is the same church Kev and I made many sacraments in growing up, were married in and got Cullen baptized at. In fact, if you go all the way back to 1992, it is where my mom and Kev's dad met when they taught religious ed together and became family friends, which ultimately led to me babysitting Kev's siblings 10 years later and us meeting. Thanks St. Francis for making that happen.
| Our wedding, 2007 |
![]() |
| C's baptism, 2009 |
What are you most looking forward to? Do you get holiday anxiety?




5 comments:
It's totally understandable that you're anxious - that's a long time! BUT you did a great job of balancing those fears out with the list of things you're looking forward to. I bet you all have a magical Christmas and trip!!
That does sound like a daunting task. I have major issues when it comes to packing for one for a week. But once you arrive I am sure you will have a wonderful holiday and an amazing time.
Just try and take it one step at a time. Maybe pack for yourself one day, the boys another, etc. I always worry about dividing time up too and it never seems to be equal, but we do the best we can. Saying some prayers for you.
Yikes. That does sound stressful, but I'm sure it will all be worth it!! I think the holiday's are stressful for everyone unfortunatley--i sometimes wish we could do away with presents (although I LOVE presents) just to make the season more about family, friends and the true meaning of christmas :)
Whatever you don't remember to pack, you can buy or borrow...especially with that many little boys running around!
You are blessed to have Kevin home with you and I know that you two will weather the cross country journey with grace and laughter...only way to deal with anything life throws at any of us.
I like the one suggestion of pack in steps...one person at a time. A little sip of wine once the boys are in bed tonight couldn't hurt, either.
Enjoy your family and have a blessed Christmas. I will pray for a random snowfall while you are back East...would love to have some here myself. I always dream of a white Christmas.
Like I said before....only sunny, dry days are allowed on your travel days!
Love you all!
Post a Comment