Thursday, December 20, 2012

'Twas the Week Before Christmas

And all through the house...

And we have been busy!

On Tuesday night, we decided to trek up to Gilroy Gardens to their Holiday Lights display. We went all in and bought the tickets for the park and the dinner and play with the friends from Charlie Brown. The boys' eyes lit up before we even crossed the entrance to the park. (I could have stopped right there. Wonder in their eyes is one of the best parts of parenting.)
 Linus is C's favorite character because they have matching blue blankies, so you can only imagine his excitement when 'big Linus' was carrying his blankie around the park.
 Bennett, on the other hand, was a little unsure of the new friends.
 We had to take the opportunity to play in the snow machine (it is the best snow we will be seeing this winter!)
 The park was nearly empty and we were able to go on every ride as many times as we wanted, leading to Cullen proclaiming 'This is the best night of my whole life.'
 Then it was dinner and a show, by now B was loving Charlie Brown and Lucy.
 Enthralled by the show
 We spent another two hours walking around the park, enjoying the lights and rides. It was the perfect family adventure.

We also tackled a lot of baking this week: Gingerbread house (ok not baked, bought at Michael's, decorated by boys), shortbread cookies for teachers' gifts and a red velvet cake for Christmas Cocktails and dessert with our next door neighbors.
And then there was the picnic at Lover's Point in Monterey




And finally, we spent Thursday morning as a family, picking out Christmas gifts for the children we adopted from our church's tree. I was so proud of Cullen as he strolled through Target with such purpose. He never asked for a toy for himself and insisted that we get his 'friend Ethan' all the things on his list, and when I said to pick him out a shirt, he came back with pants too. As a parent, it makes me so proud to see him understand the concept of giving as well.
And so we head into the weekend, ready to celebrate with friends Friday night, go on a date Saturday and start our own family traditions on Christmas Eve and Day. This is the first year we won't be with our families and we will miss them, but I can't wait to soak up every moment of the holiday with my sweet little family.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!


P.S. Congrats to Beth Ann for winning my good karma giveaway! I will mail you something good next week. Thanks to all who entered!

24 comments:

Kristine -Heart Shaped Sweat said...

Family adventures are the best! You really did capture all the wonder in their eyes :) It's so great that you've instilled the gift of giving into your boys. Happy Holidays to you all!

Unknown said...

I love love that first picture! Mia met the Charlie Brown crew at Knott's Berry Farm and she wasn't impressed either!

Anonymous said...

The picture of C and Linus was totally my favorite. So sweet!!!! Have a Merry Christmas Kate!

Kristin said...

So sweet! You are obviously raising them right! (I still have my blankie too, so I understand the preference for Linus :)

Shannon said...

Just wow. What a wonderful post. You have a very beautiful family,Kate.

Happy holidays to you and yours.

Tarabelle said...

Looks like SO much fun! The smiles on your boys faces are precious!

Tara

http://tarabelle-adropofink.blogspot.com/

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

The expressions on the boys faces was just simply priceless and I'm sure repaid for the entire evening. I love the one of C and Linus with their matching blankies and the one of him in the (looks like a car) ride with the worlds biggest smile!!!! So much fun!!!

Shawna said...

Oh my goodness, the matching blankie picture is the cutest thing ever!

Meg said...

Those gardens seem like a fantastic place! Your boys look SO happy!! I love the Charlie Brown characters too. My gosh your photos are amazing - you will always have so many great photos to remember your family at every stage!

Happy Friday!

henning love said...

oh my gosh bennett's hat with the little ear coverings is so adorable! enjoy your date on Saturday and creating your own Christmas and Christmas Eve traditions, hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your sweet family Kate!

Jen said...

How fun! I love the family adventures you take, the pictures are always amazing. :)

Joeylee said...

Looks like you guys have been having a lot of fun. Cute pictures as well

Unknown said...

so precious! i love their sweaters too! y'all do the most fun things during the holiday!
merry christmas!

Ashley said...

this looks amazing!! Pictures are gorgeous!

Heather said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Your boys look so happy. :)

Candice said...

This Christmas time looks so magical for you guys!! The boys are getting old enough to understand what it's all about - which I can only imagine, must be the coolest feeling for parents!!

Stephanie said...

So much fun, and so many happy memories! Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas together!

lauren jean allece said...

I can't wait to meet these amazing little men!

Jenn said...

They are THE CUTEST and I am so glad they had fun at the Christmas light display! And omg, you're killing me with the gorgeous pics of the beach. Seriously, I wanna live there.

Sara said...

What wonderful Christmas memories! I love the "best night of my whole life" comment- what a cutie!!!

marie said...

As always, you take the most darling, vibrant pictures. Your boys are utterly delightful, Merry Christmas!!!

Katie said...

What an adorable family you have!

... and such lovely photos, too.

Merry Christmas!

Jamie said...

You take such amazing photos!

Janna Renee said...

I love the Charlie Brown characters!! It's good to make your own traditions :)