Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The New Rules

Remember how I said a few weeks ago that my boys have been fighting? And that my patience was weaning? And o my goodness if we keep arguing over who gets to sit in the black chair (which we have 6 of the exact same ones) I am going to LOSEMYMIND? 
Yea, it hasn't gotten much better. 
We don't have a ton of friends in our area with children, particularly as old as Cullen, so I honestly think they are just a little sick of each other (and me) and it has resulted in some tension filled moments around the house.
So the other day, I remembered back to the tough days of 2012 and decided it was time to update our family rules. I sat both boys down and we talked about why it is important to get along so Mommy doesn't yell because it is in the right thing to do, and asked them to come up with the 10 best rules for our house. 

Here is what they dictated:

1. Obviously, was pleased that "have patience" was as the top of the list- now if only they would practice it (like waiting 20 more years to break into the beer).

2.  Another favorite since Cullen's new favorite activity is lifting up Wells and putting him down somewhere else....which Wells hates. 

3.  For Bennett: we have been limiting his paci use (since the Dentist judged me) and now he sporadically bites his brothers when he is playing. Is that a thing? Or just a weird phase? Anyone? Bueller? 

4. Does anyone else's kids get extremely hungry while you are clearly busy? Because mine do. Usually during the 20 minutes a day that I get to talk to their father, roughly an hour after they have just eaten a man-sized lunch. 

5. Example of silly things not to cry over: Putting your shoes on the correct feet, or putting on two of the same shoes.

6. Okay so they called me out on this one. Our house backs up to a horse farm and that horse farm sends a lot of flies into our kitchen. They are gross and I don't like them so I tend to get a little violent with the fly swatter. Whoops. 

7. Frankie barks a lot. At people, at other dogs, at the wind, at the sun...he needs a rule too apparently.

8. Basic. (Will never be followed.)

9. Pretty large blanket statement here, but I'll take it.

10. One of the biggest lessons I think my boys can learn: Just BE KIND and you will do good. 

In case you missed the 2012 Rules- here is a refresher (original post HERE):
They still hang in the playroom because no one wants to forget to not get hit by volcano fire (and that 2 years later, Mommy is still obviously the mean parent).  
But in the meantime, we are working on it bit by bit and when they do throw a fit about who gets to jump from the couch to the ottoman first (no one), we can point to the rules and I can remind them that they were the ones who decided they were important. Hopefully within this, we will be teaching ownership and responsibility along with better manners (and patience all around). 


20 comments:

Jessie said...

Haha. I can't help laughing and simultaneously nod my head in agreement. You are such a good mom. Keep it up!

Hilary @ Peanut Butter Spoonfuls said...

I think #9 is a rule they should live by for life. The other day I told my B not to scream and he said I screamed every time a fly landed on me. Touché. (We have a lot of flies in our house too.)

Rachel Ross said...

First of all, you are an amazing mommy. Parenting is hard enough but having to do it while your husband is gone is just that much harder. My kids fight pretty often (although they crazy love each other too) and I just go through these "WTF, where are they getting these behaviors from?!" moments. Parenting is no joke. I love the idea of making family rules...we just may have to do that! Hope you've been enjoying a glass of wine or two nightly...you deserve it!! :)

Annette said...

We need a list of rules here too and "Have patience" is on the top of my list. It seems my son gets ravenously hungry right at the moment we say it's time for bed. (We still haven't been able to change this habit.) I have to say that you're a great mom and doing everything right, and by the way, I LOVE that last picture of you all. How did you ever manage to get everyone to smile? You guys are the cutest!

Meghan said...

Omg these rules (and the previous ones) are great! I'm cracking up laughing! Raising 3 boys must be hard and comical at the same time! By the way, I love that last picture of you with the boys! Is that a selfie or did someone take it? Either way, frame it immediately!

Traci@TheHallway said...

Haha. You are doing an amazing job. Your hands are full and I hope this helps! And school is starting back, so that's good! ;) And there is always wine! I agree though that the franksters needed a rule too ;) we sure know Bogey has his! haha

Stephanie said...

This is awesome. I love that they had a part in coming up with the rules so hopefully it will help them to follow. I love #2, I feel like that is on repeat in our house all the time.

Meg Taylor said...

You're doing a great job and I love that list!! That last photo of the four of you needs to be in a frame!

Shannon said...

I think this is a pretty great list. I'm very glad you explained the fly one because I was a little confused at first!

Theresa Breslin said...

Did not need an explanation about the flies. I get angry at them too!

Violet Tinder said...

Haha this is awesome... You are super-mom!!

Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

Oh gosh - I really hope that #2 skips our house. Right now I have to constantly tell Trenton and Charlotte not to distract Evelyn while she's eating. She wants to know what they're doing at all times, and it takes her forever to eat!

The volcano fire one is still my all time favorite, and a very important rule to have! ;-)

Rachael said...

I love every last bit of this. I am definitely not alone with having quarrelsome kids and very hungry kids when I am on the phone. We might have to sit down and make some rules of our own.

Jen said...

You are doing an amazing job! :)

Sheelah said...

This is fantastic. All of it! I laughed out loud at every word in #3. I am definitely going to have the girls make a rule list with me.

Sheelah said...

Oh yeah, and the jumping on furniture rule? We just don't even try to make that a rule here. Since it's something I allow, it just takes one more thing off the list that upsets me :) bc believe me, that list is LONG.

Sarah said...

lol, don't get angry at the flies...love it. You are doing such a good job, and this is great, will have to keep in mind when my kids get old enough. And picking up Wells and putting in down somewhere else, cracks me up.

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Family Rules!!! They are so cute, We are going to be incorporating something similar to this in our class at work over the next few weeks and I can only imagine what my little people are going to say.

Lauren said...

you are seriously amazing! I love all of these...but I love all the detailed explanations even more!

Sarah said...

I'd just like to say that getting angry at the flies is TOTALLY LEGITIMATE. Flies get in my house all the time and it drives me nuts. Apparently God is trying to teach me something (patience? appreciation for the smallest of His creatures?) because I deal with them on a daily basis. You have my sympathy.