Hey y'all. I'm Laura, Katie's neighbor. I usually write about art over at my blog so I am excited to be trying something new here at Daffodils!
Katie has been a pretty good sport over the past year, accompanying me to and from the fabric store to mull over (and over) fabric for my bedroom make-over/ DIY upholstered headboard project.
I am excited to announce that, as of last week, the headboard is done and my master bedroom is almost complete. It only took 369 days! Yeah, it was a procrastination thing... the whole project was actually very easy. All you need is:
1) a husband or easily bribed man with a jig saw
2) plywood (and two 2 x 4 for the legs)
3) two double sized egg crate mattress pads (spiky side down)
4) quilt batting
5) fabric (if your headboard has angles like mine, use a pliable fabric. I went with linen)
6) a staple gun
Draw out your design on butcher paper just in case. Before you cut, make sure the headboard is about 2 inches wider than your mattress. Assemble the first two layers of egg crate followed by batting wrapping both around the back of the board and securing with staples. Add fabric layer and staple again. You can mount the headboard directly to your wall if you have stud behind your bed. If you don't, or you have a weird room layout like me, go with legs.
A normal person should be able to complete the project in under 6 hours. Obviously, I am totally not normal.
Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the process. So, I can't show you exactly how it was done. All I can show you is the room pre-headboard.
The ugly duckling table at the end of the bed was found by my mom on recent "curb shopping" expedition. I thought that after a little work it would look great at the foot of the newly head-board bed. (Painting and recovering the Hollywood Regency chair there in the corner is my next project.)
The table was encrusted in mud and the mirror in the middle was peeling. So Katie, C$ and I ventured over to Lowes for an 8-ounce sample can of orange-sorbet-ish colored paint for my new Preval Spray Gun. Two hours later, I returned to Lowes alone, covered in orange sorbet and reeking of
Two coats of paint, one coat of Minwax Wipe-on Poly and some strategic mirror distressing with a razor blade and ta-da!
The orange is not overpowering and I think it works well with my walls which are a beachy Lido Green by Benjamin Moore.
So, without further adieu...
And check out that headboard! I feel like it was worth the 369 day wait.