Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Few Reviews

Over the past few weeks, I have had a chance to catch up on a few movies and have good reviews of them all! It is always nice when I feel like I am not wasting time watching a movie.

1. Inception. I had heard a lot of good things about this film last summer when it came out, but didn't get a chance to see it until Christmas break. It was thought provoking and the special effects were pretty amazing. My only problem with it was that I didn't realize how long it was and was distracted for the last 45 minutes expecting it to end. I will definitely watch it again now that I know the storyline so I can really figure out what's going on. If you like complex plot lines, a tragic love story, ambigous ending and a lot of action, this is a movie for you.

2. Black Swan. I saw this film with my little sister in law in the theaters a few days after we watched Inception. I can tell you one thing, watching these two movies back-to-back made me question my own sense of reality! In Black Swan, Natalie Portman plays a seriously disturbed ballet dancer obsessed with her own perfection. The dancing in the movie was beautiful, but the movie itself was not a pretty story. My sister and I tried to describe it to the rest of the family when we got home, but couldn't find the right words. She found parts scary, I found many hard to watch, but neither of us could turn away from the screen. You absolutely don't leave the theater happy, but you will be talking about the movie for days. It is definitely not for the faint of heart and has a much deserved "R" rating.

3. The Other Guys. If you liked Stepbrothers or Talladega Nights, you will think this movie is hilarious. I pretty much giggled for 2 straight hours. I love Mark Walhberg and wasn't sure about him in a funny role, but he and Will Ferrell's characters foil each other so well, you can't help but laugh out loud. Husband and I were both pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable this movie was!

4. The Town. We rented this from Red Box last night and loved it! You know when you want the bad guy to win, the movie is well done. The story follows Dougie, a bank robber who wants to get out of the game and start a new life, but is too caught up in everything to get out unscathed. You watch him battle loyalty to his childhood friends and obligations to the gangs of the neighborhood with a new love interest who found herself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Definitely worth the watch!

Have you seen anything good lately?

2 comments:

Tyler said...

I'm such a loser! When Ryan isn't around, movies get thrown by the wayside. I want to see all 4 of those! Black Swan is at the top of my list. It totally sounds like crazy town. I hear I will want to see it with someone I'm comfortable seeing uncomfortable scenes with, even though it takes a lot to make this lady blush!

fittingbackin said...

I've seen all of these but the other guys and loved them all - inception was probably my favorite though - I just couldn't get over it and wanted to watch it again and again!!!