Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolutions

Thanks for the sweet comments yesterday. We are very excited! And now that I have re-capped 2010, it is time to look forward. I have never been much for resolutions, but this year, there are a few specific things I need to get done.

1. Save. More. Money. Did anyone else overspend this holiday season? In the past two months, it seemed like every budget husband and I set was exceeded and then some and I really don't know how it happened! So starting this month, we will be trying to spend less, at least until we get caught back up and on a better money routine. Some simple ideas that will help us:
*Eating lunch at home instead of going out
*I enlisted the help of recently preggo family members for boxes of maternity clothes so I don't feel the need to go out a buy a bunch of new things for my expanding waistline.
*Meal plan and make specific grocery lists so I don't go crazy at Harris Teeter buying every VIC special I see because it seems like a good deal.
*Find fun, free things to do on the weekends. It is hard when it is cold outside to not spend money on the weekends, but husband and I are going to do our best. On Sunday, we spent an entire afternoon at Border's reading books to baby boy and talking to all the other parents who were hiding in the kid's section from the cold, rainy day.

2. Speaking of meal planning, hopefully it will help us eat better. Do you ever get in a complete cooking rut where you feel like putting frozen pizza in the oven is a lot of work? Yea, I've been there for the past 2 months. So this year, I am going to try and think ahead, try new recipes and use fresher ingredients. We are also putting more effort into eating as a family. Turns out, baby boy will devor a plate of veggies if he sees that Momma and Dada eat them too. Such a simple solution, wish I had figured it out months ago!

3. Read more. Remember how I mentioned I watch re-runs of How I Met Your Mother instead of the news? Well about 90% of the time, the TV remains on until we head upstairs around 10. I really love to read, but usually once by tired bum hits the couch, it is not coming back up until bedtime. So I am going to make sure a book it sitting on the end table from now on. Plus, since my day time vocabulary consists of "choo-choo", "No", "say please" and "did you poop?", I figure it will be good to be reminded of how normal adults speak.

4. Learn to use my camera better. I love my camera and I think I have gotten better at taking pictures, but I know I have not taped into my full potential. I want to get comfortable off of 'auto' and really use all the functions of my Nikon Dx3000. I also need to take picture of people other than C. My friend Martha pointed out yesterday that we didn't take a single picture on NYE. Craziness!


5. Clean it out! We are moving in 6 months. We have 2 and a half years worth of 'stuff' lurking in corners, the basement and the shed. It is time to purge. Luckily, with very few weekend events on the calendar this winter, we will have some extra time to move from room to room.

6. Wash my windows. This is more of a 'to-do' than a resolution, but every night as the sun sets, I get really annoyed that my windows are so dirty. I think to myself "man, I have got to clean those" and then immediately release the idea until the following night, when the sun sets, and the dirt stares at me through the glass. It is a vicious cycle that can be easily ended it I would arm myself with windex and get to work.

7. Be a better wife, mom, daughter, friend and teacher. I can be impatient, selfish, easily annoyed and rather judgemental. I would like to not be any other those things. There is always room to grow!

What are you resolutions?

3 comments:

fittingbackin said...

Oh Katie! If you think you can be "impatient, selfish, easily annoyed and rather judgemental" you must hate me! LOL

Wonderful resolutions - and I think To-Dos are great resolutions too - it's part of it! Best of luck - I know you'll accomplish them!!

Alysa Regen said...

You are a fabulous friend! You can come clean my windows anytime...

Jennifer said...

I am cracking up because you are so in my head with this post. Wes and I were just discussing how well we did with food this week because I planned our meals and posted it on the fridge. I look at my filthy windows every morning and wish I could find the time/energy to clean them. I'm trying to come up with a wardrobe conducive to nursing a baby on a budget of $0. I missed your baby news!! Congrats!!