Tuesday, January 11, 2011

WAR EAGLE and Resolutions: Week 1 Update

First of all, WAR EAGLE! I'm exhausted. My beloved Auburn Tigers are National Champions and wow, what a game. And now you don't have to suffer through a week of silence from me- we won and I can continue with my everyday activities with a big smile on my face!!! Yay!

Ok on to those other things... so it has only been a week, but I figure if I hold myself accountable to my resolutions, there are certain things I will get better at. So a few observations from week one:

1. Wow, meal planning saves a TON of money. Last week, I made a chart with lunches and dinners on it for each day, then made my grocery list accordingly. I was in and out of the store in under $100 and the only lunch we had out was Baby boy and I for $5 at McDonald's Saturday afternoon. Then, when I made my meal plan for this week, my list for the week only had 17 items. I have a feeling this is really going to help us save more money! We are much less tempted to eat out when the 'menu' for lunch is staring at me from the fridge!

2. I didn't make anything from the freezer this week. Go me! I even passed up our usual Sunday night Chinese takeout and made my own at home. It was easy and much healthier than my friend's at Knowloon.

3. Sunday morning I cleaned out our basement. I threw away 3 bags of trash, got all my linens ironed, organized all my seasonal decorations into coordinating bins and arranged the shelves so now I can easily find gift wrap, paper products and serving dishes. It felt good!

4. I read You Know When the Men are Gone by Siobhan Fallon and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. My friend Ginna sent me an advance copy of the collection of loosely intertwined short stories about military spouses and how deployment affects their relationships. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down, I ended up reading it in a day. Fallon's characters and situations were so real I felt like she was giving first hand accounts of the hardships military families deal with during deployment. I think even if you aren't affiliated with the military, this book is worth the read!
Hotel on the Corner came highly recommended and was another easy read. The novel was based in Washington State in the 1940s and 1980s (told by the same narrator at two different ages). I found the political aspect of the book really interesting, I wasn't as aware of the way Japenese-Americans were treated during WWII and felt like I got insight another side of history. The fictional plot added in was a sweet and heart felt love story, mixed in with family drama, traditions and conflicts. My only complaint was that everything seemed to 'work out' perfectly for the main character, in instances where in real life, it wouldn't have worked at all, but I suppose that is the joy of reading!

5. My windows are still dirty. Really dirty. Can I hire someone to clean them with the money I am saving on food??

1 comment:

fittingbackin said...

YES hire someone to wash those windows with the money savings! LOL how funny! It is crazy how much we save meal planning - it's remarkable how many meals can be made with $100!! Those books sound wonderful but I know what you mean when it works out too perfectly in a drama. That's okay for chick lit but in a drama? Meh. And of course WDE - had so much fun watching that game!