Sunday, February 2, 2014

My Three Day Date

Kev and I are in the season of marriage and parenting where there isn't a lot of time left for just the two of us. We have 3 children under the age of 5 who need us constantly. 

Kev has a demanding job. The days are long, cold, and dark early which exhaust my inner most creative stay at home mom-ing by 4:30. 

The stresses of the rest of the day often lead us to sitting down for the first time around 9pm and choosing a glass of wine and TV over lengthy conversation. 
And there is nothing wrong with that right now, especially when we are keenly aware that we are making that choice to zone out and enjoy a little quiet time on both sides.

 But, is doesn't mean that I miss it.

 I miss talking to my husband without holding a baby or someone interrupting our conversation to ask a pressing question (most likely: Where is my Crustation Monster Truck? -Or- Can you find my football?). 

So when Kev and I booked a trip, our first for more than one night away in 3 years (!) and booked it only a week in advance, I was excited. 
Excited to reconnect with my husband, to leave behind my (blessed) 24 hours a day responsibilities, to get some sun and some (also blessed) sleep. 

So on Thursday morning, at 4am, we kissed our sleeping babes, passed the torch of duty to the ever vigilant Marme and Papa and headed to the airport. 

A few hours later, we landed in a slightly rainy, but warm Ft Lauderdale and we on vacation. After a celebratory Bloody Mary, we were able to get an early check in at the Crowne Plaza in Hollywood Beach. 

I showered for as long as I wanted to without anyone bothering me. 
Kev took a nap. 
We watch a terrible movie on HBO. 
We went for a walk. 
Later, we got caught in the rain looking for a nice dinner and ended up at a Taco Bar drinking $1 Draft Beers out of plastic cups. 
Friday, the sun peered its lovely head and we split our time between the beach and the pool, checking in with the boys periodically (they didn't miss us), but mainly enjoying each other's company. 

***

When we were first married, Kev was deployed and we spent well over a year writing letters, emails and talking on the phone. 
During those times of long conversation, we often imagined our future: 
It included lots of children, and a home, family, friends, food, (maybe) the Army, sun, sleep, wine. 
And then, over the past few days, we were able to talk about 'the future' that was now, and were happy that involved:
 lots of children, four homes (over the past 7 years), family, friends, food, (now, definitely) the Army, sun, (no) sleep and (lots of) wine.
There is something special about spending time with my husband, especially in this admitted season of parenting where 'we' just do not come first. 

I was able to hold his hand, 
And ask him questions.
I read next to him, 
I told our bartender friend Manny, 'of course we'll have another'. 
My shoulders ached of sunburn, my heart soared with love, my soul relaxed to ease back into the winter months of small child parenting (with a snow storm on the way, yay!). 

*****

And at the end of our vacation, which was at 11pm Saturday night, we decided last minute to drive the 2 and a half hours to my parents' farm to be there when the boys woke up. 

As much as we missed each other before we left, 
we missed our boys upon landing: 
the craziness that makes us-
the life that we dreamed of.
January 26 2006/ January 31 2014 
And with that, we celebrated 8 years in love, 2.5 hours of sleep and 3 happy boys first thing in the morning.

A three day date success.

32 comments:

Stephanie said...

You two are so cute!! I just wrote a post about how it's so easy to get lost in the duties of being parents that you forget what you mean to one another. I think it's great that you were able to get away for a spur of the moment trip. I wish we had family nearby that we felt comfortable leaving our kids with.

lauren jean allece said...

This just makes me so happy :) Love the way you guys love each other!

(and the way you love those baby boys!)

Jessie said...

You two kill me with your cuteness. We love talking about our future and reveling in how much we have made a reality in such a short time. Glad you had time to sleep and connect and rejuvenate! :)

Jessie said...

You two kill me with your cuteness. We love talking about our future and reveling in how much we have made a reality in such a short time. Glad you had time to sleep and connect and rejuvenate! :)

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a perfect getaway!! You guys are too cute! We have been talking about trying to plan a small getaway one of these days, we will see how long it takes for it to happen :) so glad you guys had fun and were able to recharge!! You deserve it Mama!!

Shauna said...

This is great. The last two pictures are so fun. You of course look not a chance, different. :) Your husband looks like a man now, and still very handsome. It's just like us. My husband really looks like a man now. He's changed the most I think. Happy dating and happy parenting. Take care,

Shauna xo

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

so pleased you enjoyed your mini break, sometimes thats all you need

Semper Ag said...

This is wonderful!!! Sounds like a much needed vacay!

Kristin said...

What a great trip! So glad he was able to get away from work!

Meg Taylor said...

What a fantastic trip! And how amazing that you drove so far at the end to wake up with your boys!! That bottom photo?? You look exactly the same and Kev looks like a baby in '06 haha!

Shannon said...

Awwwwww! STOP IT! Your post gave me sappy love goosebumps.

I'm so happy for your beautiful family!

Dee Stephens said...

Good for you guys! You both deserve it!!

Meghan said...

You guys are the cutest! I love that you are such devoted parents but also know when you need some time just the two of you! I'm glad you had a nice getaway!

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a great time!!!!

Erin said...

Maybe I'm just emotional but this almost brought me to tears bc everything you wrote is how I feel - we need to reconnect as people who feel in love not parents. Thanks for the push I'm going to find a way!

Unknown said...

I was questioning my hormone status after tearing up while reading this, but felt less ridiculous after seeing that several other commenters got teary too! Haha! Long showers, sun, lots of sleep, long meals with plenty of cocktails….sounds AMAZING!!! So happy for you that you and the hubby had some special time to reconnect :)

Sarah said...

Awww, that is awesome that you guys got away! We went to dinner with just my parents and sister this weekend, no kids and it was amazing! But we missed the kids like crazy too, but it was nice not having to entertain a 3 year old at dinner for an hour :) Happy Anniversary!

Joeylee said...

It looks like you had an awesome time. I love that last comparison picture of you 2.

Jen said...

What an amazing trip you had! :)

Lauren said...

so precious! and I'm so happy that you had such a wonderful time! you two both definitely deserve it!

Traci@TheHallway said...

So glad you guys had such a wonderful getaway!!

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

You two had such a wonderful time, you share a love that is so special and a joy to see and read about!!! Here's to another 8+ years to come!!!!

Katiern827 said...

Well said my friend! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time:)

Anonymous said...

What a great mini vacation, I may be a little jealous.

eas said...

This is such a great post Kate. It's nice to hear that everyone in our stage is lacking in the "date" department. I know I could do a better job but reading your post is inspiring! I think the military does a good job of "coaching" it's members on keeping your marriage at the forefront and I commend them for that.

Off to plan my 10 year anniversary trip after reading your post!

Sheelah said...

What a great,great trip! Good for you :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you had an amazing time! Looks so warm... :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you had an amazing time! Looks so warm... :)

Annette said...

This post is so poetic and beautiful! Congrats on getting a chance to spend some alone time together and being able to kindle that romance! You guys are the best couple.

Oh, and girl...you haven't changed one bit!! You're just as beautiful as ever!

Megan said...

So wonderful!! You both deserve it. And I love your then & now pictures. :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

What a wonderful getaway! I'm so glad you had a great time!

Janna Renee said...

You guys are SO DARN CUTE! It's always nice to see people that are REALLY in love, and you guys are great parents to boot. Cheers to 8 years!