For the past 4 years and 10 months, the time between 1-3pm has been 'my' time. The boys sleep and I clean, do laundry, wipe finger prints off walls, sweep the floors, read, blog, email...whatever.
It is my time.
Well, it was my time.
But then a certain little someone went cold turkey on nap and now I am at not sure how to restructure my day.
C is awesome at staying in his room for 'quiet time' for 30 minutes or so (depending on how long I set his clock for), but it gives me the time to choose only one: take care of house or do 'me' stuff. Then by the time he is up, I feel guilty for not spending time with him, but I also don't want him sitting in front of the TV or spending too much time on the computer (he is allowed 30 minutes of pbskids.org after quiet time).
So what to do?
We spend some time with his Kindergarten work book and practice reading, but I need some other ideas.
Any advice from Mommas with non-napping pre-schoolers? Do you chose household chores or Momma time during quiet time? What are some other activities I can do with Cullen during our time?
(And now you know, my lack of email response and commenting is directly linked to my lack of me time.. we will figure out a balance soon!)

14 comments:
I just posted a very similar and at the same time very different post yesterday :) I got nothin'.
Kate, don't ever feel pressured to comment on my blog, first of all. I know we're friends. When you get the chance you get the chance, if not, no biggy.
Yes, the dilemma that all mothers face...I can tell you after having seven kids, to be honest, I try to choose being with the kids. There is always time to clean the house. The house will always be there. The kids will grow and they will stop wanting you to read to them, they won't play by your side, they won't come to you as much. Over the years I've decided that I want to do every thing I can to make sure I will not look back and wish for something I could have had. I'm tellin' ya Kate it goes by fast friend...I've got a thirteen year old!!! And tomorrow you will too. :) You are a great mom. I have no doubt you are guided by the spirit and prayerful about these things, as I am very much so too. Which often helped guide me. Now, let me also say that I try to get out with friends twice a month, I try to blog a couple of times a week and I try to work on developing talents of mine little by little. Take care and hang in there, it is a transition for sure. Take care
Shauna xo
In all honesty I would pick doing something for yourself for that 30 minutes. Something to keep your sanity. At least for the majority of the days. Then I would spend time with him. I have found laundry can be done quickly in between playing and we try to do the cleaning on Sunday. Chris will play with Noah while I clean the bathrooms and then I will play with him while he dusts and vacuums. But I agree with the previous comment that housework will wait and it's best to spend time with your kids so you don't look back wishing you had. Maybe me time has to come after bedtime for the time being. Before you know it they will all be in school all day!
I'm impressed that you got 4 years and 10 months of napping! My kids generally seem to quit napping around age 3 :( Adelle turns 3 next week and she is still napping but lately she has been having a really hard time falling asleep at night (like up until 9 when she goes to bed at 7!), so I'm thinking that i need to start cutting down her nap time (from 2.5 hours to maybe just 1?). Anyway, Lilah hasn't napped in a long time, so I have a stack of "quiet boxes" for her to use at nap time. She has to stay either on my bed or on the couch while doing them - no running around and playing. Each box has a coloring activity, puzzle, flash cards, a game, workbook, stickers, etc… They are all similar but different and are all filled with things she can do on her own, without my guidance. She doesn't have to do everything in each box, but there is enough variety to keep her busy for an hour or more. I also let her watch 1 show during quiet time, either before or after her quiet box.
This way, I still have time to do stuff around the house, as well as some "me time" if I need it :) Good luck!
My daughter literally quit taking naps on her 2nd birthday. I tried EVERYTHING to get her back to taking a nap. It never happened. It was a sad sad day...
Someday I'm going to have to come back to this page and see what others said as I'm sure i'll be in the same boat. But how awesome that he napped for so long? I have friends who their kids stopped napping at like 2 and 2.5! Crazy!
Eva stopped napping right when she turned three. She's in afternoon school now though so she's gone now anyways. I am pro "quiet time for an hour" regardless if they want to sleep or not.
No advice here but I'm following this for others' suggestions. B has recently stopped napping as well. Makes for a looooong day! But at least bedtime comes a little earlier.
So not looking forward to that day! But you should definitely pick the "me" time for that 30 minutes, get yourself refreshed and ready to tackle the next part of the day. And holy cow Cullen look so big! When did that happen?
No clue. I'll just have to bookmark this page or coming begging for advice when it is my turn.
And as much as I adore my kids, I adore my 1-3pm "happy hour" too.
I never want the naps to end.. until maybe grade school lol. THere are some moms I know that there kiddo quit napping at 2 and for us getting out of the house to the library always helps, or we just starting do some classes at the rec center which she just loves. maybe he can take up soccer? or something fun.
I've got nothin because, well, I'm not a Momma yet but I can only imagine the dilemma. Hugs to you and prayers for patience!
Beats me. K has decided to give up his nap at 2.5 and he's not that great at being quiet during that time. He does play with his trains a bit, but I end up sticking him in front of a ABC game on the computer or putting in a movie so I can get stuff done. I do get him to help with small chores during that time, too.
Dylan gave up his naps early. He had quiet time in his room for an hour, followed by some reading time with me, and then a game. It was rough at first, but we got used to it quickly!
Post a Comment