I share with you that my Opa died very early on Saturday morning.
If you have been reading for a while, then you know my Oma and Opa. We visited them every time we came back home when we lived far away and now that we are back in DC went to see them often, bringing
the boys with us and enjoying their company. I just blogged a few weeks ago about how grateful I am that my boys really know their great-grandparents. And today I am so much more grateful that we have lived here the past 9 months and the boys really, really knew Opa.
My Opa is a great man. He moved here from Germany with my Oma and my toddler sized Dad in the early 1960s. He and Oma taught themselves English, worked hard and founded their own auto repair shop in 1964. Fifty years and three generations of mechanics later, that shop thrives. It is the place I spent many days of my childhood and as an adult bring my boys to at least once a week to visit and play. And my Opa loved to hear that: that his great-grandboys love his shop as much as he does.
So many times when we visited my grandparents, they would comment on our life with 3 sons. Telling us their stories of raising 3 sons of their own, encouraging us to let them build motors and always having enough food in the fridge to feed them and the inevitable amount of hungry friends they will bring home.
*****
I am sad that my cousins, brothers and I lost our grandfather. I am sad that my boys lost their great-grandfather. I am very, very sad that my father and his brothers lost their father.
But more than anything, I am devastated that my Oma lost her husband. The man she has loved for 63 years and has been married to for almost 58.
*****
Last week, when we visited Opa in the hospital, Oma told me that she needed Opa to come home because her coffee didn't taste right without him there in the morning.
They have the kind of love we all hope for:
The kind that makes the coffee taste bad when the company isn't right.
****
I pray for my Opa, that he is at peace and that he will watch over all of us just as he did on Earth.
I pray for my family who is suffering and grieving his death.
But mostly, I pray for my Oma who lost has the love of her life.
We are all going to miss you so very much.
So many times when we visited my grandparents, they would comment on our life with 3 sons. Telling us their stories of raising 3 sons of their own, encouraging us to let them build motors and always having enough food in the fridge to feed them and the inevitable amount of hungry friends they will bring home.
| Opa and Oma with their 3 great grandchildren |
*****
I am sad that my cousins, brothers and I lost our grandfather. I am sad that my boys lost their great-grandfather. I am very, very sad that my father and his brothers lost their father.
But more than anything, I am devastated that my Oma lost her husband. The man she has loved for 63 years and has been married to for almost 58.
*****
Last week, when we visited Opa in the hospital, Oma told me that she needed Opa to come home because her coffee didn't taste right without him there in the morning.
They have the kind of love we all hope for:
The kind that makes the coffee taste bad when the company isn't right.
****
I pray for my Opa, that he is at peace and that he will watch over all of us just as he did on Earth.
I pray for my family who is suffering and grieving his death.
But mostly, I pray for my Oma who lost has the love of her life.
![]() |
| Sept 1955 |


34 comments:
So sorry Kate...you are lucky the boys got to know them!
Oh, Katie. I am so so sorry. <3 <3
What a sweet sweet post. My heart goes out to your Oma too.
I'm so sorry for your loss. What an amazing life he lived! His story of immigrating here from Germany reminds me of my grandparents who immigrated here from Korea. Your opa made the American dream a reality! I'm glad your boys got to know such a great man.
I'm so sorry Kate. I'm sure you are very thankful that you are there during this time. And I'm glad your boys got to know their great-grandfather. Thoughts and prayers…
So so sorry for your loss :( my heart breaks for your Oma - what an amazing love they shared.
I’m so sorry for your loss. My heart is saddened for you and your family. Please know I’m praying for you all!
:( I am so sorry! Praying for you all!
My heart aches for your family. I love reading about people like your grandparents and it is absolutely tragic when they have to leave us.
I am so sorry for your loss. Will be praying for your family!
Praying for your family! And feeling inspired that your Opa was able to love so many generations after him.
So sorry for your loss Kate, hugs to all and I'm sure he is watching over you all x x
I'm sorry for your loss...
I am so sorry!! Praying for your whole family. Hugs!!
I'm sorry to hear. I wonder about the day my grandparents on my dad's side will go. Specifically my grandmother, is who I think about. She's one of the loves of my life. I just love her to no end. I'm so glad to see these sweet relations of yours had such a wonderful love for each other. Take care and thoughts your way,
Shauna xo
Beautiful post. I am so sorry for your loss.
Kate, I"m so incredibly sorry for the loss of your grandfather. But know that this post was written so incredibly well, that I truly feel I know how much he is loved, your Oma is loved and how your sons and future children will know how special a guy he really was. T&P as always.
My heart breaks for you and your family, Kate. I am so sorry for your loss. The love between your Oma and Opa is very special indeed, and I know the closeness you shared with your Opa is something you will carry with you every day of your life. Sending love and hugs.
I am so so sorry for your loss. He sounds like such an incredible man.
oh gosh, this gets me choked up. Especially about your grandmother saying that she needed her grandfather to come home to make her coffee. Many blessings to your family during this difficult time.
Kate my prayers are with you and your family. I am so sorry for your loss and I pray that God grants you all peace and solace during this time.
Sitting here reading this with tears rolling down my face. What beautiful words. My prayers and thoughts go to your family as they heal from the loss of your Opa. Hugs.
This really hits home with me. As you may remember I lost my grandpa last week as well. THE hardest part is most definitely the heartbreak my grandma is feeling. They were married 69 years. She is very confused and has to be reminded daily that he is gone and the heartbreak starts all over again. I'm so sorry you lost your grandfather and I'm sorry you have to watch the terrible heartache your grandma is going through. Sending prayers to you and your family.
So sorry about your loss sweet friend. We are praying for you and your family. Love you!
So so sorry Kate. I'm glad your boys really got to know him and you got to see him often. I can't imagine what your Oma is going through but she will certainly appreciate having you and your family around. Those boys of your could bring a smile to anyone's face.
Oh, Kate, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Oh Kate, I'm so sorry for your loss...this is going to be coming for me in the not so distant future as well...and regardless of the good life they have led, I can't imagine life without my grandparents! Hugs and prayers to you & your family!
My heart goes out to your grandmother, it's tough to go through life without your spouse. I am sure watching her grandkids brings her so much joy.
Regarding your comment on my post about Ethan. Thank you so much for leaving it. It's not something I hear talked about a lot, maybe because I live in an area with great schools, but the angst in these decisions when it comes to our kids, oh my gosh it's crushing!!!
His new school is actually a charter school, it's free so cost didn't figure into our decision, but it's highly ranked and has almost 2,000 kids on the waiting list, it's that good. But just because everyone else is trying to get in doesn't mean it's right for my child. Oh the inner turmoil exhausted me. Not that I want you to feel it, but I am glad I am not alone in the angst about school decisions. I was talking to Shauna and she was saying she was having some similar inner struggles regarding her kids. She home schools them all but she's not sure her oldest is getting all he needs, so anyway I am glad to hear from other mothers that we are going through similar things.
I can't believe your already thinking about school for him! Where does the time go? Good luck with all you are going through, I love your pictures of your sweet boys, they're heartbreakers.
I know I'm a little late... but sending tons of prayers and love to your family. You had me tearing up while you described the love between your grandparents. Truly a love we can all hope for. Tons of well wishes for all of you!
Gosh, that has to be unimaginably hard. I see it in the women across the street who have lost their husbands. Every time I go to visit, I see rooms untouched like they're trying to preserve them as if he'll walk in the door as he always has. They speak of their husbands in the present usually and ask for help saying, "my husband just always did this." It breaks my heart. I'm so sorry for your Oma.
I'm sorry for you and your family, too. I'll be praying for you all.
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Its hurt breaking to loose a any one, grandparents hold a special place in our hearts though.
sending up prayers for you and your family.
Aww...their love was beautiful. Again, thoughts and prayers!
What a beautiful tribute Katie. So sorry for your loss, and for your Oma's. What a love they had!!
Post a Comment