Thursday, February 13, 2014

Rest In Peace

There are some posts you know how to start, and others you don't. So you write things like the previous sentence and hope the rest of the word follow correctly.

Tuesday morning I attended Caroline's funeral. As I mentioned last week, she passed away unexpectedly, leaving behind her 6 year old son, 2 year old son and 3 week old baby girl. I didn't know her personally very well, but my future sister in law is best friends with their family and I know one of the sister well (we went to high school together and she is Caitlin's best friend) and I had another one of the sisters as a student back when I was a high school teacher. I certainly remember Caroline from high school, but it was her current position in life that I identified with most.

Caroline wanted nothing more to be a wife and mother, and according to her family who spoke bravely and beautifully about her, that wife and mother of 3 young children is where she was her absolute best self.

As someone who only wanted to be a wife and mother, and feels the most comfortable in those roles more than any other, my heart breaks over and over because she didn't get to fulfill them for the lifetime she deserved to. 

I don't understand why bad things happen to good people, but I am glad that I have faith that helps me believe that they are in a better place, and can watch over their loved ones. I am glad that Caroline's husband, children and family have the solace of knowing that too.

Life is short.
Live in the moment.
Don't take anything for granted.
Count your blessings.
Have no regrets.
Be your best self, everyday.
Each day is a gift.

A thousand cliches that today mean so much more.

Rest is Peace, Caroline.
May God watch over your sweet babies and husband, family and friends and bring them comfort and strength.

*****

A fund has been set up to assist Justin and the children- you can contribute visiting this website.

14 comments:

Semper Ag said...

What a tragedy. I can't imagine what her kids must be dealing with. Praying for them :(

Ashley said...

It's just devastating to lose someone so young and that has such young children. :(

Shannon said...

My heart breaks for that family.

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh, that is awful and my heart is breaking for that family. Many prayers to them.

AR said...

Well said Kate.

Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife said...

This is incredibly sad.

Anonymous said...

So so so sad.

Sarah said...

Horrible. Just so horrible. I'm with you in that I don't understand why sometimes the worst things happen to the best people.

Jen said...

:( This just breaks my heart.

Katiern827 said...

Heartbreaking. Prayers for all involved.

Heather said...

I am so sorry for this horrible loss and will be keeping her family in my thoughts. This is so terribly sad.

Erica Jacquline said...

this is heartbreaking. I am so sad for this family. Thoughts and prayers for them and for you and your family too.

Rachel Ross said...

That is hands down my greatest fear. Praying for that sweet family. I can't even imagine.

Annette said...

How incredibly sad and heartbreaking. I'll be keeping this family in my prayers.