Monday, February 24, 2014

This Weekend, We Tailgated In the Front Yard

On Friday, we laid my Opa to rest in a beautiful service. So many people came to the wake on Thursday night and the funeral on Friday, I think my Oma was very overwhelmed by the love so many had for her husband. We also took the first cousin picture in years and it makes me happy that Oma knows that she is surrounded by all of us. 
After the reception, my boys and I came home to decompress a little and then geared up for a pre-planned weekend with my sister in law and her family. Kev's brother's lacrosse team was playing in DC so  his sister Kyle and fam came in Friday and then we all went to the game on Saturday.



 Caught this tender moment between a boy and his nose.


Saturday afternoon was the first little glimpse of Spring. The weather was the perfect little hopeful day that we will be warm again and we spent the entire day outside.
 Remember how strangers used to tell me that Bennett's hair is white? Now, I get stopped all the time to be informed that Wells' eyes are blue. 

 I wasn't kidding about tailgating in the front yard. That really happened.



 And on Sunday, this exhausted (physically and mentally) family did a whole lot of nothing. I never even changed out of my sweatpants. 




Thank you again for all your prayers for my Opa and my family.

17 comments:

Jen said...

Still sending you so many prayers, these are all wonderful photos!

Sarah said...

what a wonderful weekend with family after such a hard week.

Dee Stephens said...

Gorgeous family pictures.

Traci@TheHallway said...

Sounds like a perfect much needed weekend with family! It was beautiful here too and it makes me want Spring to be here SO BAD!! :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful family weekend. Your pictures are beautiful!

Heather said...

I love that you took a picture with your Oma and cousins. I definitely think that having a loving family and knowing that you are all there for each other can be such a comfort during sad and hard times. I'm continuing to keep your family in my thoughts. I'm glad you got some time to relax and enjoy the first glimpse of spring weather, too. I'm really hoping it will be here to stay sooner rather than later.

Lauren said...

I'm so glad you all were able to celebrate your Opa this weekend...what a wonderful cousin picture!

I'm so ready for some consistent spring-like temps...I'm totally over this winter stuff!

Janna Renee said...

My thoughts and prayers for your family! Opa sounds very loved, and it's great that y'all are taking such good care of Oma. I'm glad you had such a great time the rest of the weekend. I'm sure that helped get your mind off things.

People really do comment on the most obvious things. His eyes are definitely blue, haha.

Semper Ag said...

I love the photos, and the one with all the cousins. Sometimes, it takes a funeral to bring people together that hardly see each other or get together.

Shannon said...

Simply amazing photos to capture a very special weekend.

Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife said...

Thinking of you all!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

You have a wonderful family. Praying for you all!

Amanda said...

Looks like such a good time tailgating in the front yard. I am jealous of the creativity your weekends include.

Jessie said...

I am so glad to hear your family was all in attendance for your Opa. How special! Ironic too because we'll be attending my own Grandpa's funeral this weekend. :(

Also, Lax rocks! So happy it's warm where you live too. Spring is commmminnnngg!

Stephanie said...

I wish our weather would warm up so we could spend the day outside. We did that one day last weekend for a short time, but it seems like the 'warmer' weather is always accompanied by a cold wind. I'm glad the service for your Opa was nice and you all were surrounded by love.

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Wells does have the most beautifulest eyes!!! I love the nose pickin picture, to cute!!!
You and your family are in my prayers as you go on with this time.

Hilary @ Peanut Butter Spoonfuls said...

What a wonderful picture for your Oma to treasure. You all must be physically and emotionally exhausted, glad you had a lazy day!

P.S. Wells has blue eyes.