Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Baby Items

Since I have baby on the brain, and a lot of my friends are currently preggo with their first baby, I thought I would take today to share some of the baby things I couldn't live without, others I found unnecessary and some that just didn't work for me. I get questions often from my first time mom friends, so I'd figured a list to have on hand would be helpful! Plus, it gave me an excuse to post a bunch of pics of C as a teeny thing, and who doesn't love that?

Useful:
1. Onsies in sizes 0-12 months. Babies grow so fast. They also get dirty a lot. You can never have enough onsies and it was so nice that as baby grew, I knew I had a stash that would fit him.
2. Diapers
3. A pack-n-play. Great for traveling, great for keeping downstairs for a place for baby to sleep in as a little bit and then to play in as a bigger guy. But don't go crazy with all the attachments, they take up a lot of room and are mostly useless. We only used the changing pad attachment and C used to sleep in it when he was itty bitty.
4. Towels and Receiving Blankets. They are wonderful and useful, but you only need a few of each!
5. Bath Stuff. As in soap and a few toys. Maybe an infant tub, but even that isn't completely necessary.
6. Bottles, bowls, spoons, storage containers, sippy cups. Baby will need all these things before you know it.
7. A high chair. Another big expense that is nice to have already for when baby needs it. But again, all you need is something baby can sit and eat it, not one that rolls, strolls, reclines and can fly.
8. First Aid Kit. You'll be clipping finger nails in the first few weeks and will be very thankful you already have that thermometer the first time baby seems to have a fever.

Useless (or in less harsh terms: Unnecessary)
1. A video monitor. This will drive a new mom up the wall without her even knowing it. You need your sleep mommas, lay down, close your eyes and stop watching your baby breathe. It will be good for both of you in the long run. FYI- we never used a monitor at all. Trust me, C let us know when he needed something, plus not hearing his every sound allowed him to get himself back to sleep without me rushing into his room at every noise.
2. A Moses Basket. Yea, they are cute. Yea, I was really excited when I received one at my first baby shower. No, it was never used. Not one single time.

3. Wipe Warmer. Your baby can handle a cold wipe. Seriously.
4. A swing. They are big and bulky and most babies grow out of them very quickly. Plus, in my world, making the baby adaptable is very important and if he's always sleeping in a swing, he may not want to sleep in a crib (without the movement).
5. Travel System Stroller. We used the snap-n-go and infant car seat til C was about 8 months old, then switched to the umbrella stroller. One of the main things I learned as a Mom is that you need to be able to do things with one hand. Pulling the travel system out of the car is not one of those things.

6. Shopping Cart Cover. If you are that worried about germs, bring a wipe and run it across the seat and handle before you put the baby in. Otherwise, don't make life harder by hauling around a cover and trying to set it up while not letting your baby touch anything. If you plan on letting them play at a playground, then you might as well let them sit in a grocery cart (or on a Harley).
7. Bottle Warmer. You know what else warms bottles but doesn't take up room on your counter? Hot water.
8. 5.Overzealous baby proofing. You do not need to change your entire house just because a baby is coming. I still have glass coasters on the table, a wine rack that sits on the floor, a living room devoid of baby toys and cabinets that open without a key, code and screwdriver. Of course C pushed his limits to see what he could get into as a little guy, but now he doesn't mess with things he is not supposed to touch. It is never too early to teach a little accountability right?

Thought I needed...but didn't:
1. A Baby Bjorn/Baby Ergo ect: A lot of people loooove these but I hated mine. I think I tried it twice and felt pregnant and uncomfortable carrying C in it.
2. Nursing Cover. A blanket works just as well.
3. Bumbo Seat. We borrowed one from my sis in law and used it occasionally, but its not something I would go get myself and don't feel like I need for baby 2.
4. Boppy Pillow. I loved nursing and wanted to hold C myself, I found sitting him on a pillow really awkward. Although, we did use it when he was little to lay in.
5. Play yard, Jumperoo, Bouncy Seat and cradle chair. You don't need them all, but it is fun to have one or two. We ended up using the Jumperoo and bouncy seat a lot.
Overall though, it is important to remember, as my mom would say, this is all just stuff. All you really need is confidence, your natural maternal instinct, a husband that won't ask questions if he gets home one night and you exchange a crying baby for car keys, a few (too many) frantic phone calls to your mom, the grace of God and some good wine. I remember leaving the hospital with this little person thinking I would never figure out what he needs. When my mom told me "You'll be able to tell what his different cries mean", I looked at her like a crazy person. I wondered how I would know he had enough to eat if I was breastfeeding and couldn't gage the amount. I questioned (for 11 months) if he would ever sleep through the night. But before I knew it, I did learn that he had different cries, my body made exactly what he needed (which still blows my mind) and we finally got the courage to let him 'cry it out' (3 days later, he never woke up at night again. damn.) Having a baby is what we, as women, are biologically made to do. Remind yourself of that every now and again and you will be just fine.
To the other moms out there: Anything to add to this list that you couldn't live without? Or things that you rendered useless? I know everyone's 'must haves' are different!

To the non-moms or new-moms: Anything you are set on using or nervous about not working?

2 comments:

worldinapapercup said...

Not a mom. Not pregnant. Not trying to get pregnant. But I am definitely keeping all of this in mind for when one of those things I am "not" becomes a thing I "am":) Thanks for sharing!

Tyler said...

I feel that this is SUPER helpful! I've been hanging in the baby room a lot lately and have found the boppy, bumbo, and swings to be super useful, but a daycare setting is totally different than at home. I really like boppy pillows though. I like that they can lay in them and on them for tummy time without smushing their faces into the ground. Great post!