I don't like to get political on this blog, but I just have to comment on Sunday's events for a second. One quote that I have seen pop up on several status's hits my feelings about the death of Bin Laden: I’ve never wished a man dead, but I’ve read some obituaries with great pleasure. -Mark Twain
You see, not only as an American, but as a military wife, I have to see this as a great victory and be grateful that this man can no longer install his virtues of terror and hate onto impressionable people. I am glad he can no longer orchestrate missions which kill innocent civilians and leave people hurting. I am glad this event has brought America together and renewed faith in our military.
However, I do not think we should hang his body in Times Square or release pictures of his final moments. I got angry at the people who's facebook status were of the 'I wish I was the one who pulled the trigger' type and yet I know they never once considered joining the military. I think there is a way to 'celebrate' this death with humility, just as the Navy Seals who completed the mission will. I don't want people to forget that there are still terrorists in the world and thousands of troops here and abroad fighting to protect us from them.
I mostly hope and pray for a peaceful world to raise our children in and continue to be grateful for my husband's, and all our troops, part in striving for that peace.
Update: Erin from The Fierce Beagle wrote a much more eloquent and moving piece on this event. Please take the time to read.
2 comments:
Amen, sister. One person's death shouldn't make people feel happy or like justice was served. Those comments honestly make me sick to my stomach. We have a LONG road ahead of us. I'm afraid we just pissed them off even more. Ryan was telling me things that I obviously can't repeat on here, but I don't think it is looking too pretty over there. I just pray for love not war!
I'm so grateful for your link, but your thoughts are just as eloquent as any of mine might be. I think, contrary to popular belief, there's a lot more thoughtfulness about war and violence and their effects in the military and military families than happens in the general population. Because we are affected every single day by war and violence, distant though it may be.
Peace. A beautiful word, a beautiful concept.
Post a Comment