Sunday, May 22, 2011

Date Weekend

So here's what happened: My mom came down last week to visit, play with C, and make me fried chicken (seriously, that was on the list of things I needed her to do). Somewhere in the midst of those two days, she and her grandson came up with a plan to escape to VA for the weekend. So after giving me these faces:
I relented and realized maybe a little weekend with just the husband would be a nice break before all the activity we have coming up. Friday morning, we loaded up baby boy for the 4 hour trip north to my parents' farm and decided to take a little trip of our own. For 3 years we had been hoping to make it down to the little town of Asheville, NC and Friday afternoon there was no moment better than the present. We packed a quick overnight bag and headed two and a half hours west. After checking into the hotel, we went downtown and followed the sound of drums until we found this:
Who doesn't love a good hippie drum circle? And who doesn't love this guy? And do you think he has a real job when he's not drum circling?
When we felt that my belly had been blessed with enough hippie rain dances, we found a place to sit, eat and people watch. The food was great, the people were, um, interesting and husband and I just had a great time chatting and laughing and not worrying about making it home in time for Cullen's bedtime! (Meanwhile, this is what C was up to.)

After a glorious night's sleep, Saturday morning we headed down to the Biltmore Village and had breakfast at the Corner Kitchen. O my yum.
We then decided since we were there, we might as well be good Americans and check out the Biltmore. You couldn't take pictures inside the house, but here are a few of my favorites from around the property.




A lot of walking, a few awkward comments from strangers about my due date and some antique stores later, we crossed the visit to Ashville/Biltmore off my 10 in 10 Weeks List and drove back over to Winston for a lazy Saturday night in. Sunday it was off to VA to meet my parents halfway and pick up baby boy, and enjoyed Sunday afternoon as a little family, but more on that tomorrow!

Hope your weekend was great!

2 comments:

Sue said...

your photo of Ashville reminded me of our visit there back on 2004, looks like they have street music every Friday night, we had a great time. I'm sure your Mum enjoyed her time with C, why wouldn't she

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

Hey Katie!

I love your blog! I'm excited to get to Ashville now that I'm down in NC with Scott. Love your pictures!