Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Big Boy Room

As you know, Baby Boy decided a few weeks ago that he was ready to sleep in a big boy bed, then I had my issues with finding the right bedding, and a few days ago, I gave you a sneak peek it all coming together. Well, today is for the big reveal!

Here is the bed before:
We were really lucky to get it from a friend of mine at work, and she actually gave us a set so further on down the road, we will have matching beds if our kids share a room. I heart really nice people! We were tempted to leave the bed as is, the finish was classic and in great condition, but in the end I decided to paint it so it really went with the rest of C's room. (The other bed is on loan at my mom's farm until we need it). So I went to work with some light sanding and two coats of primer:
Followed by two coats of light blue paint which matches the knobs on his white dresser:
Then, I decided to stencil a 'C' in the middle to make it really personal and simply printed one out from Microsoft Word, cut it out, taped it to the headboard and painted it.
I think it adds a really special touch! (After I finished this step, I put two coats of Wipe-On Poly to add a little shine and keep the paint from chipping):
I ended up finding the bedding at Target. I was surprised because I had just been there a week before and there was nothing and then I lucked out finding just the right combination of colors. My palet inspiration came from Cullen's jungle themed letters, which my mom painted after he was born and I plan on being in his room for a good while. Aren't they awesome and don't you think she should open an etsy shop??
Here is how the room is looking now:
The bed is in a funny position because we still have the crib up, C isn't quite comfortable sleeping in the bed at night yet. And since we are preparing to move, there are a few things in here that won't be in his official big boy room, like the rocking chair. But for now, I think it looks super cute for a toddler and I think C likes it to:
Hope you have a great weekend, especially all you Mommas out there!

2 comments:

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Super cute! And those letters are just precious! You've got one talented Momma!

fittingbackin said...

oh it turned out wonderful, Katie! Love the white C - definitely adds something extra. Happy Mother's Day!