Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Last Day

This morning was my last day at St. Leo's Catholic school. It is hard to believe that I have been working there for 3 years. Back in 2008, when we moved to Winston, I had big intentions of being a housewife and hopefully raising a family. Kev had just gotten home from Iraq and we had yet to live in the same city, so we decided me taking some time off would be a good thing. I had spent my first two years out of college as a high school English teacher and knew taking on a full time HS position would not leave me a lot of time for husband and eventually a baby. Well, after 3 weeks of housewifing, I realized I was a little bit bored, a lot a bit lonely and was overly tempted to just piddle around town spending money that I wasn't making. So when we went to register in our local parish, I inquired about subbing at the little Catholic School attached to it. I met with the principal and she actually told me they had a part time position open working in the library and after school care program. I had no experience with elementary aged children (nor did I really want any, I always only wanted to teach high school), but my yearning to get involved pushed me to say 'yes.' What a blessing it turned out to be.

Two weeks after I started at Leo's, I found out I was pregnant, but was excited I would have something to keep me occupied while waiting for our first baby. I loved the small, charming atmosphere of the school. I adored the love and gratitude elementary students are so willing to give (much unlike my high schoolers!) and in all honestly, I loved having something to do for a few hours a day, but no real responsibility once I left work, like planning or grading. At the end of my first year, I told them I wouldn't be back, that Kev and I agreed that I would stay home with the baby, but in July, they called and asked if I would be interested in being an assistant in Pre-K. The opportunity seemed too good to be true, especially when we found an affordable and awesome part time daycare program for C right across the street from our house.

Now, three years later, as I left school today with lots of hugs and well wishes, I thanked God for presenting this opportunity to me. I met so many wonderful and influential people. I learned so much about parenting that I would have never known. I looked forward to everyday in that classroom, watching those little minds learn and grasp concepts, make friends and work out conflicts. I learned a lot about the little boy I want Cullen to be and how I can achieve that through watching other parents interact with their little ones. I am grateful for the extra income it brought our family, but the flexibility it gave me to still be C's primary caregiver. I just couldn't have asked for anything more perfect.

So thank you to all my St. Leo's family and friends for making Winston that much harder to leave! Yall have been so wonderful to my family and me and I can't express enough how much working there has changed my life for the better.

Now, if only this baby would come...

2 comments:

fittingbackin said...

So bittersweet, Katie! Look how much has happened in 3 years for you!! I love how big your little family is getting. :)

worldinapapercup said...

Sounds like such a happy time of your life and also like it fell into your lap so nicely! Love when life works like that:)