Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Farm House Before & Afters

My parents have been in their Farm House for a few months now, but the Spring came sooner than they expected and the outside work put a halt on putting the finishing touches on the inside of the house. Luckily for my mom, I really like to unpack and organize things and I hope that by the time I take off for CA, I have put most of the rooms together. Last week I was able take the family room from just two couches:
To a combination formal and farm-chic family room:

I even added a 'welcome center' complete with Mom's guest book and pamphlets of what to do in and around Luray.
Next up was an unused space where you walk in from the door to the kitchen. My mom had a bench sitting there, but it looked pretty out of place and was serving as a catch all for everyone who walked in.
I found this old coffee table that my grandfather made in the garage and hit it with 2 coats of black spray paint:
Now a painting that my mom made, another shelf built by my Papa and the glossy new bench serve as an inviting mud room area:
Best part of these makeovers is that they all cost $0, I found everything around the house and just re-purposed it to work in different rooms. You can read my mom's version of the makeover (and see more pictures from the weekend) here. It should be noted that she and my dad did all the hard work, like ripping out smelly carpet and stripping wallpaper long before I came in with some hanging nails. On par for this week: the back den, guest rooms and guest bath. Happy Wednesday!

2 comments:

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

what a transformation, I look forward to seeing what else you achieve during your stay. Bet your mum is enjoying this

Ericka B. Jackson said...

Amazing! Wish I knew how to re-paint furniture... I tried once and it was a DISASTER! Did you not have to sand or strip that piece first? Or is it a special kind of spray paint that works best?