Friday, July 29, 2011

No Sew Valences

One of the projects I had been wanting to try for ages was LGN's tutorial for no-sew curtain valences. A year or two ago, before I knew blogs existed, my friend Laura made there for her rented house because they were cheap, easy and quick alternative to buying curtains for a temporary space, but still look like real window treatments. I never had the need for it in my old house since I already had curtains up everywhere, but the Farm was the perfect place to try it out. Here's how it goes:

1. The materials are simple: foam board, tape, fabric batting, fabric and a staple gun. Cut to foam board to the width of the window and the length you want it to hang down. Then cut another piece for the sides in the amount you want the treatment to stand out from the window. Mine came out about 3 inches because it is used to hide blinds as well.
2. Once your pieces are cut, you need to attach them. I used packing tape because it was what I had on hand. Duct tape or a hot glue gun would work too. I also rounded the corners of the board to give the treatment a little more style.
3. Next, cover your board with fabric batting. This will give the valance a little more depth and make it look more like a real window treatment. You simply wrap the board with the batting and staple gun it to the back.
4. Next, you do the same thing with the fabric you chose.
5. Then, attach a hook. I used these little ones because it was what I had one hand and actually taped them on because I didn't have a hot glue gun. It will have to be more secured eventually though I'm sure, sorry mom!
6. I hung valance on a little nail.
7. And done! Would never know it wasn't a really curtain! Get ready to see lots of these in our Cali house! The whole project was even easier than I expected.

What are you up to this weekend? Have you done any fun projects lately?

2 comments:

Ericka B. Jackson said...

SO cute! I might have to try these someday!

Rachel H said...

I love these!