Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Birthday America!

Happy 4th of July my friends! I hope you are having a wonderful and relaxing day. Our weekend was a little nuts, but a lot of fun. It started with the late night arrival of Kev on Thursday. As I mentioned last week, he wasn't planning on coming home, but he finished all his in-processing and had nothing left to do until classes start tomorrow, so we bought a not-so-cheap plane ticket and sent him home. It was worth every penny. I just function so much better when Kev is around! And now the good news is, there is only 19 days til I head to California which feels like nothing. So, let's re-cap:

We have entered the phase of summer where I no longer make Cullen wear pants.
Friday morning we had a lazy time, hanging out, loving our little family.
Baby B spent a little time pondering his first few weeks of life:
Friday morning, we had a pre-planned play date with the boys' cousins Brooks and Owen. They came up from Harrisonburg and by lunchtime we had some seriously water logged little ones.
My nephew Owen kept belly flopping off the diving board. He literally walked to the edge, then fell head first. It was hilarious, especially because he loved it. Nothing is funnier than a toddler face-planting on purpose.

I have no idea if this picture is in chronological order, but I just like it. B's eyes are getting brighter blue by the second and it has been so nice to have my mom around to help.
Saturday morning, Kev and I took the boys out for a bit, then headed back to the farm. My parents headed back into town to have dinner with friends and two of three of my brothers came to the farm that night to hang out. We celebrated America with a big ol bonfire:
And brothers and beer:
Rolling on to Sunday, my parents hosted a 3rd of July party for anyone who was around. What we thought was going to be Kev's parents and my grandma turned into 35 people. I told you we have a lot of family in Virgina. It was such a beautiful day, perfect for barns, bbq, booze, family, swimming and fun.

This is my in-law's dog Chip and my youngest cousin Brady. Chip is a really old dog and just ended up standing on top of Brady with his tongue out. It made me laugh, especially because neither of them are phased.
My Oma and Opa came too:
And my grandma and her husband Ray. This is their family portrait with their 'child' Ziggy:
C and some more cousins:
My older brother Joey taught Cullen how to headbutt. Baby B looked along anxiously, waiting to be big enough to take part:
My grandma with her 4 great grandbabies:
My dad, Kev's dad and Kev, possibly re-telling the story of how Kev crashed into the barn on a dirtbike last time we went riding. I'll save that story for another day.
My little water monkey:
My dad is not the blow bubbles to your child-type, so whenever I catch little moments like this, it makes me really happy. (Side note: my dad is the teach your child how to fix things, ride a tractor, dig a hole, build an engine-type and that makes me really happy too.)
I found my way into a picture finally:
High five for America:
At the end of the night, it was just my parents and my inlaws. Have I ever told you about their incestuous past? Our parents were friends long before Kev and I dated. One of their favorite jokes is "We lived together before our kids were married!" They think it's hi-lar-i-ous. Back in 2004, my parents sold their house and their new one wasn't built yet, so they moved in to the Larrabee's basement for a few months. The 4 of them now have all kinds of weird jokes about how 4 parents makes life a lot easier. The positive side to their close relationship is that we do all get to hangout together a lot and it is a good time.
Plus, it is a really special thing for our kids that they so often get to spend time with all their grandparents, even though C doesn't seem to think so in this picture.
So that was our weekend. Kev left early this morning to get back to CA and the boys and I have spent our day like this:
How was your 4th? Did you go out of town or stay around? We had a great time with everyone over the weekend, but I'm not going to lie, with the exception of missing Kev already, today was a fantastically quiet day and I have enjoyed every second of it (and I aplogize for the uncombed hair, no make up look I am subjecting you to in the picture above, like a said, lazy day!).

1 comment:

fittingbackin said...

Love the front porch pic, family pic and of course any pic with your two boys in it!

We've had a great 4th! We had planned on getting out and about but the weather has been super funky. boo. So we've mostly been doing what you guys are doing in the last pic! (just with adorable poodles instead of adorable little boys)