Thursday, August 1, 2013

Decorating on a Budget: The Boys' Rooms

As my career (let's call it that) as an Army wife progresses, there are certain things that I get better at and one is most definitely getting a house unpacked and set up. Because we know each move is temporary (and with each move, we realize just how quickly those years go by), the sooner we feel settled, the more time we have to enjoy the space. On the other hand, I've learned that spending a lot of money on a room isn't ideal since in each house, furniture, curtains and decor will likely be used differently. 

In this house, getting the boys' rooms set up was my priority. I wanted them to feel perfectly at home before baby comes. We originally thought they would share a room in this move, but because we found a house with the extra space, we kept them separate. 

Bennett stayed with his nautical theme, but since all his furniture has been passed over to baby, he needed new pieces.
 The bed is a twin to Cullen's that has been hanging out at The Farm for the past two years. The set was given to me by a friend when we moved from Winston and I love its classic lines. I had painted C's years ago, but Bennett's just felt right staying the wood color. (We also transition straight from crib to twin beds around here.. never had a problem with them falling out). The letters my mom painted, the poster is from Kev's bachelor days and the trunks held all his belongings at West Point and used to serve as a side table in our living room, but I love them in here.

The only things I bought for his room were the curtains and the bedding. Both from Target, the bedding was $35 (including sheets, thanks Dorm Room sales!) and the curtain panels were $30 for both and are already lined, so we just pull them shut at night and didn't have to buy a shade or blinds. The rug is from Homegoods 5 years ago and has been in all kinds of rooms in our different houses.
 I was planning on buying B his own dresser, but when my mother in law offered this one up, I had to accept. It was her grandmothers and we think it is pretty special for B to use. The vintage map I got at an antique store in Monterey and the other print is a framed scarf.
A book shelf and color coordinated polos live in the closet.
 I think it is the perfect little-big boy's room!
 On to Cullen's room, right next door. He has had a jungle theme since his crib days and I offered to go with something completely different in this house, but he is the one who wanted to keep it.

  I just really like my stuff, Mommy. 
 Again, the only things bought new were his curtains and bedding. Same Eclipse brand curtains from Target (C wanted yellow to look like the sun) and the duvet and sheets are from Ikea (I paid around $40 for the set). The orange pillow we made a few years ago and as you can see, Cullen was very excited to unpack all his stuffed animals.
 On his walls is some artwork we made back in Monterey and then a jungle handprint project we just did earlier this week. Have you ever seen anything so cute?

Also books and colorful polos in the closet
 And a sweet little reminder of the day he was born. This is a great gift for a new baby if you are looking for one!
 I love how each room is so different and really a showcase of their opposite personalities. 

I almost done with the master, which got the most different look (for super cheap) and I just started on Baby's room yesterday, so I will have those to share soon!

27 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, the boys' rooms look great! I love the jungle theme!

Sarah said...

Wow, all the rooms look great! I can't believe you're doing all this and you're due in 2 weeks! Crazy girl! Want to come decorate baby girls room for me? I"m having trouble getting started and here you've already moved and unpacked, geesh! I need lessons :)

Kristin said...

I LOVE that vintage map. I'd put that in my living room!

You're inspiring me to redecorate. I agree that settling as soon as you can is important. I was insistent about unpacking here because I wanted to enjoy it.

Meghan said...

The rooms look great! I also love getting things set up fast and will work around the clock to do so! I can't wait to see the nursery!

Traci@TheHallway said...

We are the exact same way with the getting settled in as quickly as possible... We want to enjoy HOME for as long as we can!! Both rooms look great! I love the yellow curtains too, really brightens it up! And you know I love nautical, but I love how meaningful some of the pieces are, and that you were able to use them in his room! How neat!!

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

Great job, I'm sure the boys are really happy with their rooms. I spied the sweater vests in their cupboards(-:

Anonymous said...

I love both of their rooms! My step dad has the same trunks from West Point except his are a lot more beat up.

fittingbackin said...

The rooms look great!! They are very different, but both adorable and bright, welcoming and sweet - love the new stuff combined with the old - great job, mom! :)

Jen said...

Everything looks amazing! I love how you decorated their rooms.

April said...

Such cute rooms!

Anonymous said...

Love the rooms! They are so big for kids rooms! Our one day kid rooms are much smaller. (:

Joanna said...

love it!! they both look awesome. Lucky boys :)

Jessie said...

Wow, you are amazing! Come decorate my house? :) hehe

Shannon said...

They look so great - and on a budget. can't beat that! :)

Joeylee said...

The boys rooms look great. I love decorating the girls rooms

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

Love love the boys rooms!! You did a great job!

Unknown said...

I LOVE both of their rooms! I'm partial to the nautical theme, since that's what we did for W's room, but I must say I adore how bright and cheery Cullen's room is. And his homemade artwork looks perfect in his room! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

Nicole said...

Their rooms look great. I especially love the painting with the little train!

Hilary @ Peanut Butter Spoonfuls said...

Again, you amaze me! I could not get a house this settled and looking this good with zero kids and zero weeks pregnant. I am also amazed your kids don't roll out of the bed! I find B 100% wedged against his bed rail most of the time.

Jen Mc said...

GASP! This is fantastic! I love the decor.

Stephanie said...

OH.MY.WORD. Cutest rooms ever! You did an amazing job!

Mia @ The Chronicles of Chaos said...

Their rooms look amazing! Can you come do mine? haha. I'm embarrassed to say that we've been in our house since 2008 and I've barely done anything with the boys' rooms. :/

emily barlocker scott said...

This room is AMAZING!

Beth Ann said...

I really love them both! Like you said, I like how different they are. And I love that Cullen wanted to stick to his jungle theme and that he picked the yellow curtains. Precious. Can't wait to see the rest!

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

I love the boys room's they are so cute!! Decorating can be so much fun!!!!

Annette said...

Oh my goodness; can you come decorate my house for me? I love both the nautical and the jungle theme! You've definitely become an expert w/ all this moving. Where do you find the time and energy?? Love it!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Everything looks great! Dylan has those blue curtains from Target, and we LOVE them. They keep his room so dark, even in full sunlight! I can't wait to see the baby's room!