Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Flight (According to Bennett)

So, Mommy says you would like to know how my big brother and I did on our travels from California to Virginia. Hmmm, let me think. Were we good? Was it a quick and painless trip? Did we seamlessly ease into the 3 hour time difference? Are you following my Mommy on instagram (Katedaffodils) and are already chuckling because you know I didn't sleep a wink?
 Here's what happened.

 Mommy managed to keep her travel anxiety under control and got us packed and to the airport in plenty of time. Our flight from Monterey to San Francisco was really easy. C looked out the window while I spent the 25 minutes trying to get my mommy's seat belt off. She was sure the rest of the trip would be a breeze.
 We thought 45 minutes would be plenty of time for a layover. But Mommy didn't factor in that I would pee my weight in my diaper during the first flight and that all the emergency entertainment items that she packed would be really heavy for trekking across the airport to our next gate. By the time she changed me, we were almost the last ones to board. Won't she ever learn to plan more time?
Luckily, the flight was pretty empty and we were able to move to the back of the plane and spread across two aisles. Let's stop and all laugh and shake our heads at Mommy for thinking that this was a good sign. 
So then, we headed up, up in the sky.
 And then we fell apart.

 Brother and I refused to eat our dinner. Our flight attendants were rude. I refused to fall asleep. Cullen refused to go sit with Aunt Kate. We had to pit stop in Denver, for an hour, and couldn't get off the plane, while a passenger who ended up having really bad gas got off for medical assistance. On the remaining 3 hours, we experienced turbulence that made my Mommy hold on to both of us too tightly. My brother started to get annoyingly cranky. I fell asleep, only to be woken up every few moments by people bumping into my Mommy. I ended up being that crying kid on the plane. We finally landed at 1am and I gave everyone my best don't-you-dare-look-or-talk-to-me-face, while my brother went skipping/jumping excited to see Uncle Mike and Pop. Then, the combination of sleep deprivation and excitement caused him to trip and face plant on the concrete. Meltdown ensued. No hugs for Pop or Uncle Mike from either of us.

 And, just because we love to give Mommy a solid challenge, we both melted down until 10pm tonight because of the time difference. Mommy says that she loves us, but that tomorrow, we are having a date with our Marme and she is going to lay by the pool.

Good thing we are cute, for real.
 But thanks for the well wishes anyways. We are clearly here and at my Marme's farm, where I spent my afternoon being a total ham (until I had my bedtime meltdown. You can't win 'em all, Mommy).

More from VA next week.

26 comments:

Joeylee said...

Glad you made it safely. Have a good time. Bennett your such a cutie

Meg {henninglove} said...

ugh sorry for the bad traveling experience. i can't imagine it would ever be easy with you. but great story telling kate, bennett is a babe and enjoy your time with your family!

Kristi said...

Sorry it has been a rough trip but I love how you wrote this post. So cute!

TIffany Gabriel said...

Oh this is to funny. Was it the first time traveling with both boys that far??? I love how you told the story. I'm sure your families are loving every minute of yall being there!!!!

Kristin said...

Just thinking about that makes me anxious and claustrophobic.
Wow, Bennett. You've got an eloquent way with words for a 1 year-old. Better than some grown-up bloggers out there. :)

laurenjeanallece said...

Bennett, tell your mommy to enjoy a nice glass of wine by the pool and that some good cheese is quite possibly the best answer to any question.

And yes, seriously, you and brother are so cute it makes up for just about anything. Well done.

Shelly said...

Yikes! I'm so glad you made it and the traveling is over...for now. Traveling with kids it always seems like the worst scenario happens. You should be proud you survived all that to tell the tale. Enjoy VA!

Katie said...

Oh no! Poor mommy:( I'm glad you all made it safely and hopefully the boys will get adjusted quickly...I'll say a little prayer!

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry your flight was...challenging, but if you are able to come back with such a cute and witty post, I think it didn't suck too much out of you.

Maybe the boys will challenge you more on the flight back?
(I hope not!!)

Lauren said...

oh poor mommy! I hope you've been able to enjoy some time by the pool...and it really is a good thing that babies are so cute, i sometimes think it's the only thing that keeps us sane!

Beth Ann said...

I love your sense of humor! ;) Hope you get some quality pool time!

Adrienne said...

This is absolutely adorable! But I'm so sorry for the adjustment and hassle and terrible flight :(

And sleep deprivation!

You did such a cute job of portraying it though... :(

Heather said...

Wow, what a trip! It's awesome that you're able to keep your sense of humor about it all, though, because this post is just too cute and funny! Have an awesome time here in VA!

Stephanie said...

My oh my...you deserve a vacation after that day of travel, and more than just a day at the pool! : ) Hope everything goes smoothly from here on out!

Ashley said...

You are a good woman!!!!!

Sue said...

Have a lovely holiday, I know your mum will spoil you all. Just sit back and let her take over, she's been waiting soooooo long to get her hands on those boys

Megan C. Stroup said...

This definitely makes me want to stick to my no-traveling-with-kids-before-age-10-policy ... haha just kidding. I'm sorry the trip wasn't smooth, but you made it! And I love the idea of writing a post through Bennett. Very cute. :)

Nicole Marie said...

They are so cute though! Sorry about the bad experience. I hope you have better ones love. Sweet story, btw :)

AaReAn said...

Just randomly stumbled upon your blog and couldn't help but comment...he is about the cutest thing I have ever seen...the eyes are amazing! ;-) and it's a good thing he is so adorable! haha

xoxo
Aarean

come on over and follow along my blog all about COLOR...I think you might enjoy it :-) colorissue.blogspot.com

Kari said...

Bennett! You little buggar! Like you said,though, thank goodness you are so freaking adorable. Now, enjoy the rest of the trip and please have less of a story for the trip home. :)
xoxo

Kate said...

Oh man! I feel your pain. That sounds a bit like our flight to Fl a few weeks ago. Ended with H throwing up all over. And of course I forgot to pack a spare outfit for him so he had to stroll through the airport in just a diaper. Ah kids. There should be a special daycare on board planes-just drop them and relax! One day maybe ;)

dbirkel said...

Kate...Have you ever considered become a writer? You tell your life story so well and with such emotion. You would be able to add your own photography as well.
Glad you are back on this side of the world for a short while. Call or text and let me know when you will be in Winston Salem.
Can't wait to see you all!!!

Lacy in the Sky with Diapers said...

I can relate to this all too well.... It's horrible. And I have done it so much! I am really looking forward to driving across the country with the boys instead ofmevermflying again with them! At least you have all of your nail polish!! ;) xo

Eloquent English said...

Oh my that sounds rough... =/

Britt said...

The only reason I'm laughing (sorry I have to) is because.... I HAD THIS SAME EXPERIENCE a few months ago. Like seriously, almost exactly. I HATE flying (like you) and apparently so does my littlest. SIGH. Such is life though right?? And we are going on vacay on Thursday 10 hours away. I said to my husband, "Umm we ARE driving this time" hahaha

Emily @ Emmy June said...

You poor, poor thing.
You meaning Kate, not Bennett. Haha.
Bennett--you're a rascal. Be nicer to mommy!