Sunday, October 21, 2012

Weekend Happenings

Hello, friends. How was your weekend?

 Mine started on Friday morning with a visit from one of my best friends from high school, Alysa. She was driving from San Fran to Santa Barbara and popped in for brunch with her friend, Amanda. 
What is it about seeing old friends that is good for the soul?
 Of course the boys went right in to showing off, Monkey-see-Monkey-do style.
 And Bennett took Lys down to Carmel Beach to prove his Sea Turd status.
 It was too short of a visit, but worth it for sure. Miss you already, Lys. Come back soon for a whole weekend!

Friday evening we met our friends Cassie, Drew and Baby Soph for a beer, then came home to put the boys to bed and have a relaxing evening with our DRV.

Saturday morning at my house looked like this: Trains, playdough, Army football on the computer, Auburn football (ugh, let's not talk about it) on the TV, and o look, there is me in the mirror (this will be the last time I show up in this post).


After some naps (by all of us), we headed down into Carmel to a playground C found on a tourist map. He has been talking about it for weeks and gave us the very specific directions. It was a little underwhelming when we got there, but I think his pride in navigation outweighed the lack of equipment. 


 Plus, swings make everyone happy. (You saw this picture I posted yesterday, right?)
 Afterwards, we walked downtown and got the boys some ice cream.
 And played makeshift musical chairs in a courtyard.

 Saturday night we experienced our first little Earthquake (nothing too serious, just a shaky house for a few seconds) and Sunday morning made it to mass at 11. Right past our church, there has been a pumpkin patch with bounce houses set up for the past few weeks and every week C begs us to go. This week, we caved.

 And we made one little boy very happy.
After that we went out to lunch at Compango's Deli in Monterey. We met the owner, who happened to be named Bennett, and he asked us what B's middle name was. After we told him, he pulled out his driver's licence and there it was Bennett Paul, just like our boy. What are the odds? He then gave us free cake. Obviously, we will be going back.

Sunday involved more naps, an 11 mile run for Kev, the park with some friends and then this moment. 
On Friday, Alysa asked Cullen if he likes his brother, his response? Um, yes. He's my best friend.

Can't ask for more than that, can I?

24 comments:

Jen Mc said...

Looks like a wonderful weekend! I agree...visits with "old" friends are therapeutic.
Your boys are adorable!
Have a great day

Candice said...

I'm dying a little over Cullen's adorable comment about Bennett!!
Your weekends are magic!!

Nicole said...

Such a cute picture of them drawing together. Makes my heart melt to hear him say his brother is his best friend.

Kace said...

My old friend visited this weekend, too. You're right- there's nothing like it! Your boys are too cute...

I always say that.

Sorry ;)

Katiern827 said...

Melt my heart into a big puddle why don't you Cullen? How sweet is he saying his bubba is his best friend? You really can't ask for more? Looks like another fantastic weekend!

AR said...

I miss you all so much already...I love those two so so so much and it was great playing with them. Cullen has grown up to be a sweet, thoughtful, loving little man. He will definitely be breaking hearts one day...watch out ladies. Thanks for a wonderful visit!

MarmePurl said...

I need a plane ticket

Martha Metzler said...

oh my gosh bennett paul!?!? so weird! love you

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful weekend!

Our living room always looks like that on the weekends.. football and toys everywhere!

What a sweet comment about his brother.

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

What a great weekend. I love visit from old friends, they are always so fun and I agree never long enough.

Heather said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Seeing old friends is always the best.

Kristina said...

It's always nice seeing old friends! Carmel is on my bucket list. I heard its gorgeous!

Sarah said...

What a great weekend! Loved all the pictures. I agree with seeing old friends...too good! And Cullen's comment, too cute for words...can't wait till one day we have more than 1.

Ashley said...

Love that they are "best friends"!! :-) So sweet.

Jen said...

I love the pictures, everyone looks so happy. :)

Jenn said...

Omg Cullen is the sweetest boy. Who wouldn't want to be Bennett's best friend though, seriously.

And Kev? 11 miles? Dude is in beast mode. If I ran 11 miles, that would be like, 5 posts worth of material. Most likely because it would take me multiple days and there would be lots of drama involved, but guys just go do things like run 11 miles like it's no big deal, huh? I DID run for 3 minutes straight today. Some kind of record, I'm sure.

Emily {Isnt That Charming} said...

Oh my gosh can your boys be more adorable?! So, so sweet!
Isn’t That Charming.

Mary said...

That is a lovely part of the world. I have a favorite gallery in Carmel, that sell Ivand Earl art...he was an artist for Disney Sleeping Beauty and others. His art work looks like movie backgrounds.

Mary said...

I thought it was 17 Mile Drive...she said, by Big Sur. Now maybe that will be easy to find. What a lovely site.

Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

Have you guys ever been to Caledonia Park in PG? We should take a picnic lunch there one day!

Courtney said...

That last pic (and his response) is so precious! And do you have the happiest most agreeable children on the planet?! I mean, I am loving the photos of the belly laughs--they are always smiling big and having a blast! Looks like a great weekend!

lauren jean allece said...

Those boys have the BEST smiles on earth. PURE JOY.

Lauren said...

your boys are seriously too precious! I'm so glad you caved and allowed them to have some fun in the bounce houses...ha! I'm sure they slept well!

Ashley said...

His "best friend"... that's darling! Coloring buddies too. So cute.

Visits from old friends are good for the soul! I made a trip back to my hometown this past August, and it was so nice spending time with old friends. Love the picture of Cullen on the slide!