Monday, August 19, 2013

All Is Wells

(A Sort Of Birth Story, With A Title I Stole From My Mom)

Last Tuesday evening, I was becoming increasingly convinced that this baby was never coming out (a little dramatic, perhaps). My mom had just text me to let me know she was staying at her condo nearby for the night (my parents have still been splitting time with my grandmother since my Opa isn't out of the hospital yet) and I text her back saying that the baby was definitely not coming that night, so enjoy her time off from care taking all of us. 

Thirty minutes later I was doing an awkward happy dance in my kitchen because my water broke. 

Cullen, right on cue, asked 'Mommy, are you so happy because you are leaking?'

About three hours later, boys in bed and read to one last time as just two brothers, bags packed, shower taken, big bowl of ice cream had, plus Mom's arrival and surprise arrival by my dad who had been at my Oma's, Kev and I were off to the hospital at 11pm.

A sleepless night and lots of contractions later, it was morning and I wasn't progressing quite as quickly as we had thought I would. I opted to have an epidural at 9am after having a great experience with Cullen's and Bennett's. I was hoping the relief from pain would allow me some time to finally sleep and for my body to catch up.

Unfortunately, my epidural did not have the same plan. For some reason a 'window' was open on my left side and the medicine was unable to cover it. For two hours I laid on my side, trying to breathe through the immense amount of pain localized to that one spot. I am pretty sure I didn't say a word the entire time except It Hurts.

Finally, around noon, I felt like I wanted to push, so we called in the midwife and she said I could give it a go. I was the only person on the floor that day, so I ended up with an OB (who looked like he was 19, seriously, when did I become old?), a Navy Corpsman (who was actually 19), a midwife and my RN Mary who was amazing.

By this time, my faulty epidural had worn off and I could feel e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g (Dear Natural Childbirth Mother, GodBlessYou, Amen). If you know me in person, you know that I rarely get angry, but at one point the OB told me to keep pushing and yelled No, YOU get him out! because I honestly didn't think I was going to be able to do it. I had to push even when I wasn't contracting because our little man was so close but needed a little extra work and that was possibly the most difficult thing I have ever done.

Finally, with Kev on one side telling me I could do it, and Mary on the other telling me I had to do it, Wells was born.


They put him right up on my chest and at that moment didn't care about a thing in the world except for our beautiful perfect little boy that we had made. All the pain and 36 hours of sleeplessness dissipated into one overwhelming feeling of love. Even though I had been through those first moments twice before, there is nothing, absolutely nothing that can prepare you to hold that little miracle.


*****
It was hours later, in our Mother/Baby recovery room, after the (third) best shower of my life that bits and pieces from the labor came back to me. One of the best being that I recalled vaguely that during the difficult two hours, Kev, being the wonderful man that he is, had downloaded Mumford and Son's Live From RedRocks album on his phone to help distract me. At the moment when I wanted to give up pushing, I Will Wait was playing. Somehow, the words registered in my mind and I remember how long we were waiting and praying for our sweet angel.

And that is the song Wells came into the world hearing.


And I'll kneel down,
Wait for now
I'll kneel down,
Know my ground

Raise my hands
Paint my spirit gold
And bow my head
Keep my heart slow

'Cause I will wait, I will wait for you
And I will wait, I will wait for you
And I will wait, I will wait for you
And I will wait, I will wait for you

We waiting for you before we even knew you Wells, and we love you so very, very much.

41 comments:

Traci@TheHallway said...

Beautiful! I am so sorry about all of the pain and epidural wearing off. But it is amazing what our bodies can do! And I LOVE that song!! One of my favorites!! Welcome Wells!

Shawna said...

He is precious!

And bummer about the epidural ---I totally feel your pain on that one though lol....with my first baby they had to take away my epidural b/c my blood pressure was dropping too low. With my second I warned them that I didn't care if I was nearly dead, I'd rather have low blood pressure than no epidural--That epi birth was amazing! :-)

Kristin said...

I'm so glad he's here! Such a sweet story. Congratulations!

Stephanie said...

That is such a sweet story, especially about the song. Now you got me all teary-eyed on my first day back to work! Congratulations again!!

Hilary @ Peanut Butter Spoonfuls said...

The epidural WORE OFF?? That shouldn't happen! You are allowed to say anything you want at that point. Baby Wells is so handsome and I love that he already has his own entrance song.

eas said...

You are so amazing!! And really I cannot decide who is luckier, you or those amazingly beautiful boys and man.

Big huge tears reading this!

eas said...

P.S. Kevin needs to sign you up for wine of the month club after that delivery with no epidural! Good job!

Semper Ag said...

What a beautiful baby! I gave birth to my daughter "au naturale"...and it was not by choice! I FEEL your pain! I'm so happy for your family though!!!

Megan. OneFifteenDanville. said...

This was beautiful! Giving birth makes us superheroes doesnt it? Enjoy your sweet family mama. He has a beautiful name!

Anonymous said...

Aw man! I can't imagine natural childbirth (let alone any of it), but what a beautiful little man you guys have made! 3 of them! I still can't believe you are younger than me and have 3 gets. 3:0. lol Congratulations Miss Kate! I hope to meet all of these men in your life one day soon! xoxo

Erin said...

What a wonderful world and a beautiful baby!

Btw, epidurals hardly work for me either.

fittingbackin said...

Love this post! So beautiful! I don't know how you did it (seriously impressive!) - I am so mad at that "window" an faulty epidural. I mean really, that's like your ONLY job, epi, and you just couldn't pull it off? Fail! This brought it back for me with Becks and how you pushed without being in a contraction? I'll never know, friend. So happy for you and your third beautiful boy!! I heart that "leaking" finally happened! haha

Meghan said...

Isn't it amazing how once the baby is here we can forget about all the crap involved with labor! I think god made it that way or else no one would have babies anymore! I'm so glad he's here and healthy! Enjoy Wells!

Anonymous said...

I love Cullen's comment! haha

You look beautiful! And that precious baby boy is perfect. His name? Just as perfect.
Congratulations to you all!

Tracy Lyons said...

So beautiful! I teared up reading this... you're are the best momma!! Congrats to you and your beautiful family!!

Shannon said...

Such a beautiful boy and a beautiful story.

I had a faulty epidural with Taylor and was on full doses of pitocin so I remember the pain. Boy, do I remember the pain. But none of that matters when they lay perfection onto your chest, right? :)

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, this is so amazing! :)

Amanda said...

I love this post. And mad props to you mama for getting him out!

Kace said...

Welcome Wells!

Lauren said...

so beautiful! Love this post!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful story...made me tear up! He is so perfect and beautiful! How did this labor compare to your others? It seems as though it was pretty long, but were your others long as well? I heard that usually 3rd babies come fast...and my 3rd came REALLy fast.

Sarah said...

Congrats! Was thinking about you this weekend, wondering if you had gone into labor. Such a beautiful story, even though it wasn't like you thought, everything went out the window the moment you saw him. I will try and keep this in mind as I go into labor in the next month or so. Congrats again! And agreed, those showers post labor are amazing!

Heather said...

So glad your little guy is here with you now! He is adorable!

Ericka B. Jackson said...

This is just beautiful Katie!!! Loved hearing the story and all the perfect details (and God bless you for the pain you endured - you need a LOT of ice cream!! Haha!)

So thrilled for you guys and your handsome little bundle of joy! Congratulations!!!

Rachel Ross said...

So sweet!! Congrats on doing it without and epidural! I did it with my second (not on purpose) and wow I can still remember the pain today! Mamas are amazing! Hope you're settling in well as a family of 5! :)

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

Absolutely Beautiful, thank you so much for sharing. Congratulations!!!

Katiern827 said...

Thank you so much for sharing! Good for you making it through with a faulty epidural. I'm not sure I would have had the strength. He is absolutely perfect and I'm so happy to finally "meet" him.

Mia @ The Chronicles of Chaos said...

Aw this brought tears to my eyes! He is so precious!

And I know what you mean about the faulty epidural, it happened to me with my 2nd. I should have just stuck to natural like my first, because that localized pain was just excruciating!!!

Megan said...

What a beautiful story!! Congratulations once again! :)

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Beautiful SONG Beautiful STORY Beautiful BABY!!!!!

Loved reading this. Made me teary eyed. SO many congratulations to you and your lovely family. xxxx

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

I love reading birth stories, they are so magical and touching. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!!!! You little world is complete and i know your loving it!!!! Welcome Wells!!!!

Kathryn said...

Congrats!!! He is absolutely precious!!! Hearing your story may or may not have even given me baby fever :)

Faux Fuchsia said...

Congratulations! Nothing better than a new baby and a leo too- perfect!

Kerry said...

Such a beautiful birth story, thanks for sharing with us! You are an awesome mummy, and you guys make gorgeous babies too!! Congrats again, I hope this past week has been smooth sailing and filled with so much love and joy and happy moments as a family of five!! Lovely pictures Kate xoxo

Jamie said...

How beautiful.

Mrs. F said...

Beautiful story and a beautiful little boy, thanks for sharing with us!

lauren jean allece said...

Read it again... Cried again... The happiest tears ever.

A Brew of Blessings said...

This is so raw and gorgeous. Absolutely breathtaking!

Annette said...

Congrats Mama, he's so perfect!! It sounds like it wasn't an easy labor...at all, but oh how he was worth the wait in so many ways. This post makes me want to have another baby all over again. Bless your sweet family!

The Momma said...

I am SO SO sorry I am just now responding to this.

CONGRATULATIONS on your beautiful baby boy, Wells. Bless you for having a faulty epidural, and then for it wearing off. OH GIRL. I can't even imagine. You are my new hero.

He is perfect

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

What a beautiful story! From the funny moment when your water broke to the tearful ending. Love it!