Wednesday, September 7, 2011

$20 Curtains

As you know, this move (well technically every move until Kev gets out of the Army) is only temporary. We are living in military housing and it is as non-descript and characterless as you can get. I've tried to make it home-y with our things, but the lack of curtains has just not been working for me. So what's a girl on a limited budget, with a lot of windows and a little bit of time to do? Here's the dining/sitting room before:
I can't for the life of me remember where I first saw the idea to make curtains out of painter's drop cloth, but this is definitely not original. But it is o so cheap, easy and successful. I really don't even think you can call this a tutorial because it was so simple. But here we go: Head out to your local hardware store and pick up your drop cloths. I lucked out and got a package with one 4x12 and one 9x12 cloth for $19.98.
I washed mine to soften them up a bit and dried them to shorten them. They shortened about a foot, so if you don't want that to happen, hang them up to dry. The 9x12 canvas already had seems separating it in 3 equal parts. I just cut right along the seems and didn't have to measure (woohoo!) This is after I cut one section off.
I then enlisted my mom to sew a simple seam on the unfinished side. I paid her with wine and grandbabies. You can easily use hem tape for this if you don't want to sew.
Some hardware from Beth, Bath and Beyond and my curtains complete! (Told you it was easy).
O and see that fabulous abstract looking art in the middle? It's a scarf I already had in a white frame that I spray painted gold. Love.
I know the room as a whole still needs some work, but it's getting there!

6 comments:

Brittany said...

They look great! Much more homey now!

Lara {simply irresistible} said...

Great improvement :) And DIY.. I'm impressed!

Tyler said...

Love love love the curtains! I love how they make a space more homey too. I'm having a blast getting in touch with my crafty/thrifty/budget friendly side. It's SO fun!

Ericka B. Jackson said...

I've GOT to try this for our windows! Thanks for the hem tape idea (I don't have a sewing machine!) I wonder - do you think you could paint them? Like...maybe with a stencil and fabric paint? I'm thinking I might want some color on these beauties in one of my rooms :)

fittingbackin said...

Those look great! The house is coming along so well - love it! I wish I could sew!

rachel said...

Looks really good! I actually bought some at target today for about$50 + $25 for the curtain rings which I thought was a great deal until just now!