Thursday, September 15, 2011

5 Things For Fall


Are you in full on fall mode yet? Since the weather is already cool here, football is in high gear and pumpkin spice lattes are back at Starbucks, I have officially put summer behind me. Here are the top 5 things I am loving this season.

5. TVs back! We don't watch a ton of TV around here (unless you include Thomas the Train DVDs) but the few shows we are loyal to, I can't wait to get started. Our favorites:
   -How I Met Your Mother        
   -The Middle
   -Modern Family
   -Happy Endings
   -Parks and Rec
Shows we'll check out:
   -The Office- can you really replace Michael Scott?
   -Up All Night- we watched last night and didn't love it, but are willing to get it a shot
   -Two and a Half Men- I'm just curious how they are going to introduce Ashton Kutcher's character.

 4. Trying some new fall trends, including a chambray shirt, leopard print and color blocking.

I bought this shirt from Target and am loving it. Have worn it with shorts and with black skinny pants and boots. It will definitely be a staple in my fall wardrobe.

Did I take a pic of myself with my phone then play with the editing software on it? Yes. Am I a bit embarrassed by that? Yes. Do I love my new leopard print scarf and wear it all-the-time? Absolutely Yes.

How great is color blocking? It's a gloomy day, so you can go in your closet and pick out the two brightest pieces of clothing you own, put them together and be completely cool because it's 'in' this season. Greatest news ever for busy moms- you don't really have to match- fantastic!


3. Mmmmmm Pumpkins. Last year I made easy pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. On this list for this fall: pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin cinnamon rolls and pumpkin bread. (all via Pintrest)



2. College football, and all the tailgate food that comes with it. Even though we won't be attending any games this year, Kev and I cook on Saturday mornings like we are at a tailgate. On the menu last Saturday was Bloody Mary's, grilled chicken wings, Lara's soft pretzels, crab dip and Apple Cake.
It is imperative that you try to make these, or come to my house and I'll make them for you. Go visit Simple Irresistible to get the recipe. I served them with some honey-cinnamon-butter gloriousness.

My go-to party dish, I'll post the recipe soon. It's so easy and always a hit!
Apple Cake a la the cover of Southern Living last month. The baking is officially out of control.

1. The change. You know, the first day the weather is crisp and cool and smells good. I love the colors of the leaves, getting out the red wine and cuddling up at night. I even love the way the sun seems to go from a blazing white to a warm golden color. I know I won't get all these things in Monterey, but I have tasked my friend Laura to send me pictures as the leaves start to change in Winston and you can be sure my mom's blog will be picture overload during the month of October. Until, I'll have red wine and this picture from last year.
What's your favorite thing about fall?

*linking to Fall Five over at Schue Love!

6 comments:

natasha {schue love} said...

Love all of your fall faves! I didn't even think about all the amazing tv coming back on soon! Good call! Thanks so much for linking up!! :)

Laura said...

Done and done. Prepare to be inundated with photos!

Tyler said...

I love PSLs. They are so amazing and delicious! I also love booooooots. I could wear them all day every day and be a happy kid.

simply brookes: said...

just found your site thru simply lkj. oh and a new follower. mom's unite. appreciate your posts.

fittingbackin said...

YES I'M SO READY FOR FALL! The leaves have been falling at the house for a week or so - I LOVE IT. I also love color blocking and can't wait for that yummy-looking recipe. :) WDE - even though we didn't get another win today!

henning love said...

cant wait for those tv shows to come back especially parks and rec, and the office my husband watch those shows on a regular basis and i want to watch that new show whitney! i love that t-shirt with the ruffles, super cute, newest follower :-)